2 Days, 2 Rays

RichardB

Fished the late night of Monday and early hours of Tuesday morning under the cliffs at Hillhead, Hampshire.

Had the carp rod out with large mackeral baits on 4/0 pennel tackle, with bass in mind.

A quiet night in the main, but at approx 1 o'clock something took off at speed with the bait and first I thought it might be a good bass. But the penny dropped when the ray sucked itself onto the seabed and refused to budge. A minute or two of careful pressure got its head up again. The result was a thornback that nudged 7 lb on the spring balance.

Thornback.jpg

Tuesday night saw me back, along with another local angler (Peter). We fished from 20.30 to approx 02.00 - HW at around 11.30.

We each had a carp rod out fishing the mackeral baits at shortish range and a beach rod fishing rag/mackeral at varying ranges. Eels and shoal bass fell upon the rag baits enthusiastically.

At about 01.30 my carp rod started nodding. I picked it up and we watched as a ray mouthed the bait and then finally moved off with it confidently. A sporting fight ended with me beaching a shore caught personal best Thornback ray at 9 lb. :)

ray220806.jpg

Both fish were returned alive and well.

Edited by RichardB
DON'T PANIC

Well done richard, we had a few thornies from the shore on the crouch this spring. Always good to catch quality fish from a shore mark.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Well done ricxhard, we had a few thornies from the shore on the crouch this spring. Always good to catch quality fish from a shore mark.

Yes I remember the post Sam. Great to get them on the light gear too - 'proper fishin' !'

DON'T PANIC

And always the chance of a decent bass on the same tactics!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Great thornies well done :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hi Richard

Havent been fishing at all this year, which is really been considering there is a consultnat here nagging me about it.

Could come down to you one weekend?

Keep it reel!!