Seals freind or foe

darlick

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here here to that. Man's selfishness will destroy the planet. But do they care? Nah.

I know, they wibble on about cod stocks and bloody bass nurseries but I am not sure how many of the are truly environmentalists, they seem to be more like 'single species special interest groups' to coin an 'orrible phrase.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I know, they wibble on about cod stocks and bloody bass nurseries but I am not sure how many of the are truly environmentalists, they seem to be more like 'single species special interest groups' to coin an 'orrible phrase.

Yes but surely this is societys view on animals as a whole, we don't think twice about eating lamb, cows etc but mention eating dog cat or seals and whales and everybodys up in arms its only a matter of what your brought up to consider as food, whats acceptable in one country is not in another but who is right? it reminds me of the old "don't eat the tuna because dolphins get caught in the nets" case, well what about the tuna? was it a case of f**k them they taste nice. if you eat meat of one kind then you shouldn't complain if someone eats meat of a different type just becasue you think its cute and cudley. Another aspect of this is you cannot possibly protect or deplete one area of a food chain without some effect on the rest of said food chain, this happened in north america when they brought in laws to protect pinnipeds from hunting and there was an explosion in their numbers which lead to a decrease in fish stocks and in certain areas an apparent increase in white shark appearences which then lead to a worry over a possible perceived increase in shark attacks.

Yes but surely this is societys view on animals as a whole, we don't think twice about eating lamb, cows etc but mention eating dog cat or seals and whales and everybodys up in arms its only a matter of what your brought up to consider as food, whats acceptable in one country is not in another but who is right? it reminds me of the old "don't eat the tuna because dolphins get caught in the nets" case, well what about the tuna? was it a case of f**k them they taste nice. if you eat meat of one kind then you shouldn't complain if someone eats meat of a different type just becasue you think its cute and cudley. Another aspect of this is you cannot possibly protect or deplete one area of a food chain without some effect on the rest of said food chain, this happened in north america when they brought in laws to protect pinnipeds from hunting and there was an explosion in their numbers which lead to a decrease in fish stocks and in certain areas an apparent increase in white shark appearences which then lead to a worry over a possible perceived increase in shark attacks.

You've got me all wrong mate. I have no problem at all with someone killing a seal for food. It is a diiferent issue when someone advocates interfering with any wildlife just because they are spoiling an afternoons angling session.

They best way to manage the environment is to make as little impact as possible.

Have no real problem with whaling either, or won't as soon as someone can work out a method of humanely killing one.

Sharks only attack plonkers who enter their environment unprepared. No chance of me being bitten by a shark 'cause I am not going to get in the water where I have even a suspicion that they might be there. That includes the Med.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

You've got me all wrong mate. I have no problem at all with someone killing a seal for food. It is a diiferent issue when someone advocates interfering with any wildlife just because they are spoiling an afternoons angling session.

They best way to manage the environment is to make as little impact as possible.

Have no real problem with whaling either, or won't as soon as someone can work out a method of humanely killing one.

Sharks only attack plonkers who enter their environment unprepared. No chance of me being bitten by a shark 'cause I am not going to get in the water where I have even a suspicion that they might be there. That includes the Med.

I didn't mean my reply to look like i was having a go at you, infact i was agreeing with your view of the "single species interest groups" there are far too many so called environmentalists who pursue the future of one type or species of creature without looking at the wider picture and the effect such single mindedness has on the rest of the eco system, look at the animal rights idiots who released the mink from fur farms a few years back with no regard to the environmental damage that releasing a non native appex predator into an unprepared country side would have. I agree with you that for anglers who aren't making a living from catching fish to shoot seals so they can have a better days fishing is stupid. As for commercials once again its a different picture these people earn their living from fishing and i can understand the opinion that if something is taking "the bread from off your table" so to speak that you might get more than a little pi**ed off with it.I don't necessarily agree with that opinion but i can understand and respect it.

I didn't mean my reply to look like i was having a go at you, infact i was agreeing with your view of the "single species interest groups" there are far too many so called environmentalists who pursue the future of one type or species of creature without looking at the wider picture and the effect such single mindedness has on the rest of the eco system, look at the animal rights idiots who released the mink from fur farms a few years back with no regard to the environmental damage that releasing a non native appex predator into an unprepared country side would have. I agree with you that for anglers who aren't making a living from catching fish to shoot seals so they can have a better days fishing is stupid. As for commercials once again its a different picture these people earn their living from fishing and i can understand the opinion that if something is taking "the bread from off your table" so to speak that you might get more than a little pi**ed off with it.I don't necessarily agree with that opinion but i can understand and respect it.

Sorry mate, I do get a bit over-sensitive about things from time to time. Glad to agree with you, except on the commercial issue, it is man who is taking bread from the whales or seals table, not the other way round.

Sorry mate, I do get a bit over-sensitive about things from time to time. Glad to agree with you, except on the commercial issue, it is man who is taking bread from the whales or seals table, not the other way round.

Hello Corydoras

It's not when seals expand and move into areas where previous there wasn't any, you would feel different if it was your nets and fish being damaged or it was your long line with nothing but heads and mutilated fish left for you to haul, there is now a full blown colony here where 10 years ago there was none.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Ah well a bit of agreeing to disagreeing on some issues never hurt anyone. after all it would be a boring world if everyone thought the same. i personally am quite happy to listen to others opinions as long as they extend the same courtesy to me. As someone once told me " a fundamentalist is someone with a open mouth and a closed mind"

Guest challenge
Ah well a bit of agreeing to disagreeing on some issues never hurt anyone. after all it would be a boring world if everyone thought the same. i personally am quite happy to listen to others opinions as long as they extend the same courtesy to me. As someone once told me " a fundamentalist is someone with a open mouth and a closed mind"

No that’s not a fundamentalist that’s a whale.