Seals freind or foe

darlick

That’s what I thought you might say.

Putting things in perspective regardless of the cost helps.

Your kids have got a lot to be grateful for. Well said Andy.

By the way who was that big ugly bloke round at your house today with his new waders on? Is he what you are now using to frighten the seals away? He certainly frightened me.

Tight lines or should I say slack (scary) lines.

Now then john hows tricks,just got back from sea with big fella and i can tell you that he could not frighten a mouse first fleet seal popped up about four yards away just sat and looked im sure it came to see the big fella in his new waders.when you back at sea mate i have some supplies for you. :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seals can be a massive problem at times with anglers i myself have steamed 20 miles to wreck when you get there up pop 2 seals they have fantastic sonars right on the end of there whiskers which pick activity for great distances ie finding wrecks in the middle of nowhere which have fish swarming round them.

But the main problem seems to be through the winter months when they seem to cause us the most problems most inshore wrecks through winter have seals never to far away and some days they can torture you taking many fish of the anglers the lads at first say oh there is a seal at the back of the boat isnt it lovely 30 minuites later they want to shoot it.

Hi Paul

It is interesting what you say about it being a winter problem. as it confirms my experiences up here. We catch a lot of damaged Pollack in May. By June the wounds have healed and no fresh wounds appear. I believe the seals move onto the Herring and Mackerel shoals as there isn't enough oil in Cod or Pollack to build up the blubber.

Our best Pollack ground has a resident population of approx 50 seals, They will often wait under the boat and wait for us to catch a Pollack and remove it from the hook. I am sure they are just doing it for a bit of fun. With that many seals about there wouldn't be a Pollack within miles if thr seals targetted them throughout the year.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

But its amazing how stupidly many anglers react to a single seal doing its thing, you'd think the seal had the plague or something...

Yeah, tis the same all over. Up here (Clyde region) the second a solitary seal appears you can't hear yourself think for people grumbling "AWWW F*CKING SEAL. NAE WONDER THERES NAE FISH."

Aye. The fact that the Clydes had the arse trawled out of it for the last 30 years has nothing to do with that.

I say leave em well alone. I certainly couldnt pull the trigger on such an intelligent creature just because it nicks the odd fish off a line.

flattie

Hi Paul

It is interesting what you say about it being a winter problem. as it confirms my experiences up here. We catch a lot of damaged Pollack in May. By June the wounds have healed and no fresh wounds appear. I believe the seals move onto the Herring and Mackerel shoals as there isn't enough oil in Cod or Pollack to build up the blubber.

Our best Pollack ground has a resident population of approx 50 seals, They will often wait under the boat and wait for us to catch a Pollack and remove it from the hook. I am sure they are just doing it for a bit of fun. With that many seals about there wouldn't be a Pollack within miles if thr seals targetted them throughout the year.

Ian seals through the summer months do have an abundace of food they can feed when ever they want sprats, sandeels,herring they are in there element but come winter it is a different matter they are very clever creatures why not go to boat and wait for dinner once they have had the experience of being fed from a boat its easy picking just wait for your meal to come to you angling boats longliners once they find you a meal is only round the corner.,

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Ian seals through the summer months do have an abundace of food they can feed when ever they want sprats, sandeels,herring they are in there element but come winter it is a different matter they are very clever creatures why not go to boat and wait for dinner once they have had the experience of being fed from a boat its easy picking just wait for your meal to come to you angling boats longliners once they find you a meal is only round the corner.,

Paul if you want to see a reaction on what they think of seals mention it to del boy next time he calls for a pint serve him one first and then say what do you think of seals del and watch the sware words flow,make sure he hasnt got a mouth full of ale when you say seal,otherwise it may start to rain :lol:

Guest challenge
Paul if you want to see a reaction on what they think of seals mention it to del boy next time he calls for a pint serve him one first and then say what do you think of seals del and watch the sware words flow,make sure he hasnt got a mouth full of ale when you say seal,otherwise it may start to rain :lol:

Are you at sea this morning Andy?

Are you taking the seal scarier with you?

Are you at sea this morning Andy?

Are you taking the seal scarier with you?

Been off today nets been in for two days no bother with seals at all john,like i said earlyer they dont seem to bother much with sole nets but if i was to put gill net in that would be a different story.took seal scarer today looked like wet walrus by the time we got back.hows the chest today john :)