fisherman and cyclists.

s_mac

fishing this morning. on a canal. The rain started coming down, so the brollies went up. The wind was coming down the canal, so our brollies were side on.

the canal bank, is about a yard and half, then a cycle track, then a fence. The guy next to me had his pole hit by a cyclist and as i would he went nuts.

anyway an argument broke out, about who had the right to be there. so after it all died down, it got me thinking, we as fisherman have to give way to cyclists, i would not want to take the chance of my rod being hit. the part they cycle on is just a dirt track, no hard wearing tarmac or gravel. over time they will just erode the bank. We pay to be there, through our rod license and day tickets or club memberships, which that money goes back to maintaining these places. so we can use them. and the cyclists.

so who really has the right. and should the cyclists be made to pay a permit, so that money could maintain the tracks they wish to cycle on, as we pay to maintain our banks and fisheries.

i look forward to hearing your views

s_mac

woman want me, fish fear me

fishing this morning. on a canal. The rain started coming down, so the brollies went up. The wind was coming down the canal, so our brollies were side on.

the canal bank, is about a yard and half, then a cycle track, then a fence. The guy next to me had his pole hit by a cyclist and as i would he went nuts.

anyway an argument broke out, about who had the right to be there. so after it all died down, it got me thinking, we as fisherman have to give way to cyclists, i would not want to take the chance of my rod being hit. the part they cycle on is just a dirt track, no hard wearing tarmac or gravel. over time they will just erode the bank. We pay to be there, through our rod license and day tickets or club memberships, which that money goes back to maintaining these places. so we can use them. and the cyclists.

so who really has the right. and should the cyclists be made to pay a permit, so that money could maintain the tracks they wish to cycle on, as we pay to maintain our banks and fisheries.

i look forward to hearing your views

s_mac

Did you ask if they had a cycle permit? - yes you do need one for most canal towpaths in this country!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Did you ask if they had a cycle permit? - yes you do need one for most canal towpaths in this country!

C.

no, i didnt get into the argument at the time. i just heard it going on. as much as i wanted to, but had to rods out and would not leave them.

but i didnt know about them supposed to have a permit. but does that include a whats as know as a cycle path these days

It's an interesting point.

If you check on British Waterways website they publish a Code of Conduct for cyclists. This includes advice such as

"avoid cycling where your tyres would damage the paths or verges (eg when they are wet or soft)"

And encourages cyclists to consider others by

"give way to others on the towpath and warn them of your approach"

But I wouldn't mind betting that many cyclists have actually read the BW code of conduct.

It's only basic common sense and a bit of common courtesey after all, but I agree that it's a right b**stard when they hit your gear!

:angry:

Our chief weapon is surprise

As an angler and cyclist i'd say on the cycle path / footpath the cyclist / pedestrian has right of way, however if there was an obstruction as I was riding past i'd just ride around it even if it meant going off the track slightly. An angler or couple walking side by side obviously aren't doing it on purpose just to get in the way. If i'm fishing in a spot where this becomes an issue I just keep my gear out of the way as much as possible.. Its all we can do. There are always going to be times when you don't see someone coming so something will be left in the way.

Never going to be a 100% answer... Thats life though really ay :rolleyes:

Edited by bungral

A footpath has a public right of way and should not be obstructed...by anyone.... however, a footpath is just that ,somewhere the public can WALK to get from A to B, unless clearly stated it is not a CYCLE PATH and cycles are not allowed, it is no different to an ordinary path surrounding our houses, cyclists are expected to cycle on the public roads not the foot path, you need to find out if the tow path has been changed to a cycle path before you should enter into an argument, one thing is certain though the cyclists do not pay one solitary penny for the privilege to ride up and down canal paths.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

the canal bank, is about a yard and half, then a cycle track, then a fence

Maybe not the best location for fishing a pole then?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

the canal bank, is about a yard and half, then a cycle track, then a fence

Maybe not the best location for fishing a pole then?

fishing the pole is not to bad, with a good roller rest. and i have no problem with cyclist, dog walkers and the likes. many of them say good morning or whatever. and are very polite. i understand the blocking of public footpaths.

its more a case of who should be considerate, we as fisherman are.

lets says its a public right of way, does that mean walkers, or cyclists. or both.

im just curious

s_mac

fishing the pole is not to bad, with a good roller rest. and i have no problem with cyclist, dog walkers and the likes. many of them say good morning or whatever. and are very polite. i understand the blocking of public footpaths.

its more a case of who should be considerate, we as fisherman are.

lets says its a public right of way, does that mean walkers, or cyclists. or both.

im just curious

s_mac

To be honest when ever I fish the pole I always try not to use it anywhere where people might cycle or step. I can totallly see your point but there will always be one clumsy person or a cyclist going to fast and thats the end of your pole. The busier the towpath the greater the risk. In the same way as if you use use the roads enough one day some else will be careless and smash into your car thats car insurance is more expensive if you use your car to commute!

Rich