Radio 4 You and Your's

RPM

:huh: I dont know if anyone heard the report or not so thought I would mention this. I also wanted to get some views. You may also be able to hear this report again by downloading from the BBC website.

Radio 4s lunchtime consumer affairs programme had a report lasting at least ten minutes discussing the 'ever increasing' problem of course fish being taken from British waterways specifically for the table. A polish angler (although pro catch and return) and a representative from Angling Times were discussing this issue as a growing problem and suggested the blame fall at Eastern Block immigrants and others. Have I had my head in the sand or is it that this activity doesnt happen (or I dont see it) in and around Newark on Trent? Carp were mentioned as the greatest concern but also roach, pike and even tench. They rather implied that most fish could potentially be a meal.

There seemed to be a distinct lack of protection when in came to plundering the flowing waterways where the law needs tightening but commercial waters had a small amount of redress under the theft act.

The legalities of this situation seemed clear enough in that rod and line caught fish were fair game and could be removed however as a staunch catch and return advocate I have to ask myself; what would I do if I caught someone taking fish? Are there instances where others have experienced people actually doing this? Confrontation certainly seems possible/probable although undesirable where we, as the UK angling community, seek to protect our stock of fish from groups who dont have the same views as ours. Is this likely to worsen as other countries are soon to be granted EU status and move to the UK as many 1000s have already done so?

I apologise if this topic has been covered before but I felt the need to voice my concerns in light of the report on a Flagship BBC programme.

Yours

A very surpised and concerned angler

Edited by RPM

They rather implied that most fish could potentially be a meal.

I think any freshwater fish (and almost any salt water fish) can be safely eaten. Some don't taste very good while others need to be prepared in certain ways to be really tasty but basically, fish are food.

The UK situation with so many anglers and so little fresh water is unusual and I suspect your fishing regulations are unique. Japan may have similar rules due to the same circumstance of way too many anglers to realistically support catch&eat angling on most waters.

That being said, the UK rules are pretty clear and with proper enforcement, could reduce the problem to almost nothing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

There was an article in my local paper a couple of weeks ago reporting the problems with carp theft at a local lake and the local council were saying that they'd just spent thousands on stocking only to watch migrants steeling the fish.

To be honest though mate, there's no point in discussing it because you'll only get branded a racist by those fortunate enough to have so far avoided the problem. Lets just hope that it's just going to be a short term cultural adjustment.

All I will say is that if you see anyone taking fish or find anything that looks like a setline on your local waters, contact the EA hotline for illegal fishing, polution incidents etc on 0800 80 70 60 and report it.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Lets just hope that it's just going to be a short term cultural adjustment.

Despite not seeing entirely eye to eye with you on this subject in the past Ken I believe that youve hit it right on the head with this one.

Many will no doubt say "what about the massive damage done to our fish stocks during this "adjustment"?

I really believe that although the problem(?) no doubt does exist it exists to no where near the level that the many "news" reports would lead us to believe.I think it is very much a case of the same incidents being re-reported many times.When a journalist stumbles on a story they often dont realise how current or not it is and think theyve found something new.A re hashed version is then inturn submited to their own paper/papers.As an example how many of us has read reports in local or even national (non fishing) publications about anglers shot poisoning swans? despite the fact it was banned many years ago,see what I mean? You only have to look at an angling subject to see the time span that it is reported over as "news" in various medias.Many "hot" subjects have a "new news" life of several months! The more likely a subject will apeal to a wider range of people/publications the longer this phenonomen will exist! often going/comming full circle back to the origonal source who due to the time span thinks its another new case!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

RPM, Depending on where you live local bylaws allow an angler (any angler) the right to catch (legally of course) coarse fish and remove them for food, some areas have a two fish limit others up to eight fish per angler limit, these laws and bylaws are not properly policed ....how can they be? Interestingly , no-one is allowed to remove and transfer coarse fish from one venue to another unless prior consent is given by the EA....how can that be policed properly? the answer of course is ...it cannot. to further add to the confusion predator anglers are allowed to catch roach and other small coarse fish and use them as live baits, they are allowed to keep them in buckets but must not remove them from the venue ! how can that be policed properly? the answer is ...it cannot.

The laws may be clear to some.....but enforcing them is nearly impossible.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

There was an article in my local paper a couple of weeks ago reporting the problems with carp theft at a local lake and the local council were saying that they'd just spent thousands on stocking only to watch migrants steeling the fish.

To be honest though mate, there's no point in discussing it because you'll only get branded a racist by those fortunate enough to have so far avoided the problem. Lets just hope that it's just going to be a short term cultural adjustment.

All I will say is that if you see anyone taking fish or find anything that looks like a setline on your local waters, contact the EA hotline for illegal fishing, polution incidents etc on 0800 80 70 60 and report it.

just a curiosity, should i be on the bank and see angler taking fish and call this number. what would happen, how long would it take for action.

what would be the coarse of events.

woman want me, fish fear me

oi oi,

its not just fish anymore they also take swan's & mallards or so iv'e been told, but this is only hearsay so dont quote me on it.

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Poaching of all sorts of game birds has been going on for many centuries and I don't suppose it's going to stop any time soon. Nobody really cares if someone craftily takes a couple of pheasants for the pot over the course of a season, it's the thieves who clear out an entire wood in a single night with silenced 22 rifles that are the problem.

If poaching carp for food is becoming a problem then the best solution would be for fishery owners to identify the market and start selling commercially.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig