dog biscuit, what type and how to use them

s_mac

going to be fishing a local pond soon, where dog biscuits are well used for carp. i have never fished them and would like to give it ago.

is there a certain type or brand.

how do you present the bait

what hook size and method

any info would be great, want to try it out on local canal just to get the hang of it before i go and fish the venue

many many thanks

smac

woman want me, fish fear me

Guest Brumagem Phil

In my experience bread is a far better bait than biscuits.........feed em bickies as freebies till they are confident then introdue your bread hookbait and they'll go straight for it.

I've heard too that fake mixers work well if you use a tiny shot in the back of it so your size ten hook sits pointing upward when its presented....not tried it myself but seen it and the presentation looks good.

I like to use pedigree chum mixers

prepare a handful as hook baits the night before by scalding them with boiling water, draining and then sealing in a lpastic bag overnight. They will go nice and rubbery and can then be presented directly on the hook with no faffing about with bands/superglue/drills etc

I tend to feed the fish without casting untill they are feeding confidently and then cast a couple of mixers on a size 6/8 hook into the middle of a group of feeding carp.

Mat

Mat

Shame you are not closer!! I have a sack of P/Chum!! Just waiting for a new home!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I've just got in from catching a few on dog biscuits at a local commercial. Earlier in the season I was getting away with using an 8lb bs hooklength, hair-rigging a Chum mixer on a size 10 hook. As more carp have been caught, they've got cagier and I've had to scale down to a 4lb bs hooklength and a 14 hook to fool them into taking the hookbait.

You may find the same if it's a popular method at the water you're going to. I use a 1.5lb tc barbel rod and a Middy carp bomb controller, if that's any help. The hooklength needs to be at least 3' and maybe up to 6' if the carp are spooked by it. Smeara little vaseline on the hooklength, but leave the last 6" ungreased - the fish may spot it too easily if you don't. Casting beyond the feeding fish and winding slowly back to them is a good thing to do - also make sure they have the opportunity to eat plenty of freebies before you actually start to fish for them.

Bread also works well at this water, but the carp have a knack of knocking it or sucking it off the hook. They'll do the same to a soggy mixer, if you don't put a dab of superglue where the hair rig stop touches the bait.

I like to use pedigree chum mixers...

Mat

Works for me too.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Guest Brumagem Phil

I'm tighter than a ducks grease gland so 4kilos of tesco own brand for around £1.40 do me!

Mate of mine uses go-cat.....much smaller pieces and varied colours and shapes. I reckon they give him an edge on those nights when the fish are a bit finnicky.

Thats another point by the way........many people seem to quit surface fishing as the sun goes down yet surface fishing in the dark is absolutely devastating!! :)