VHF

Tpw

Thats a shame danno - as Paintfly says you should be send them back. I have an icom too (different model, same waterproof rating) and in the handbook they advise to rinsing radio in freshwater after use. Is there a similar diagram in the manual which came with yours?

Pic taken from their pdf manual.

icom.jpg

Same here My ICOM has had many a dunking and has always worked perfectly. I wash all my kit when I get home.

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The M-31 manual has that diagram but the Euro manual just reccomends cleaning in fresh water. I too have always washed the radios after each use without problems. The problem only seems to occur sometime during the days use. The radios have both started working again after a few days in the airing cupboard. My experience highlights the fact that you shouldnt take that waterproof rating for granted.

I rinse my Icom everytime it goes out. Touch wood not had a problem to date. But worth bearing in mind.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Something worth bearing in mind when you have bought your vhf is to get a good waterproof cover for it, such as the aquapac range. I use two handhelds, one is an Icom IC-M31 and the other a coastguard issue IC-M1EURO. They will both stop working when subjected to a soaking from a wave over the bow or spray from use on a R.I.B. This is despite the fact that they are rated to Grade 7 ( 1 metre for 30 mins).

I have had the same problem Danno.

I sent my one back and I was given a replacement unit. The saltwater gets in behind the battery pack and shorts the unit out. I bought an aqua pack for mine and have had no problems since. I think any H/H VHF will be fine short term, with an occasional dunking. The more expensive units will last longer but some of the cheaper ones need that extra bit of protection to see a few seasons in.

Neil.