VHF

Tpw

I've been looking and looking and may order the Garmin 725 h/h

I found it at www.mesltd.co.uk

Does anyone use this model ? or are they poo ;)

I use the Garmin 2006c GPS on my boat and it's always been 100% reliable so hopefully

their radio's will be just as good

Tom

Kayaks:

Scupper Pro TW (yellow)

Prowler 13 angler (green)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Garmin 725 has been discontinued, so what would happen if it went wrong.

I know what you were say about Garmin, great company and just up the road from me,

I also looked at it and thought it was a good price

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

• 1 month later...

Something worth bearing in mind when you have bought your vhf is to get a good waterproof cover for it, such as the aquapac range. I use two handhelds, one is an Icom IC-M31 and the other a coastguard issue IC-M1EURO. They will both stop working when subjected to a soaking from a wave over the bow or spray from use on a R.I.B. This is despite the fact that they are rated to Grade 7 ( 1 metre for 30 mins).

Something worth bearing in mind when you have bought your vhf is to get a good waterproof cover for it, such as the aquapac range. I use two handhelds, one is an Icom IC-M31 and the other a coastguard issue IC-M1EURO. They will both stop working when subjected to a soaking from a wave over the bow or spray from use on a R.I.B. This is despite the fact that they are rated to Grade 7 ( 1 metre for 30 mins).

In that case, surely it's a matter for trade descriptions dept. or whoever they are. That is totally crap if it's true.

In that case, surely it's a matter for trade descriptions dept. or whoever they are. That is totally crap if it's true.

Its true. That is why i have posted it. Please dont presume that your radio will still work if you fall in and dont have it protected in a cover. Both radios have been wetted and not soaked. They have been used on the kayak mounted to the front of the footwell and on the rib it is carried on a shoulder strap. But neither have been fully submerged at any time in their life.

Its true. That is why i have posted it. Please dont presume that your radio will still work if you fall in and dont have it protected in a cover. Both radios have been wetted and not soaked. They have been used on the kayak mounted to the front of the footwell and on the rib it is carried on a shoulder strap. But neither have been fully submerged at any time in their life.

Well if it were me, I'd send 'em both back. Does it say anything about having to protect them in the handbook?

There is no mention of protection in the handbook. I wont be sending it back because ive had it too long and now that i am aware of it the problem no longer occurs, and the chances are there may be similar problems with other makes that have the same waterproofing rating. Maybe others have experienced problems ? I just wanted to make people aware that the 1 metre for 30 minutes bit might not help if you find yourself in the water with your unprotected trusty vhf.

Thats a shame danno - as Paintfly says you should be send them back. I have an icom too (different model, same waterproof rating) and in the handbook they advise rinsing the radio in freshwater after use. Is there a similar diagram in the manual which came with yours?

Pic taken from their pdf manual.

icom.jpg

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

The Icom M1V has a similar diagram.

m1v.jpg

Definitely grounds for sending the units back they should be able to take the occassional wave over them. I've been using mine for sometime now in my pfd pocket with no extra protection and its holding up well.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow