The sharpest hooks ?

glennk

Hay Guys, how about a 'Varivas Big Mouth Appreciation Society', :lol::1a: Seems a lot of you use them. I remember when a friend first told me how good he thought they were 4 years ago? I asked around and was laughed at, Big Mouth's seem to have come of age :yeah:

Cliff :ph34r:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Varivas big mouths too, great hook to load up with bait as the gape is larger than most.

Big mouth Xtra with the barb crushed reign supreme for tope and big rays.

At the end of the day any hook that gets me the 'big' one has got to be a winner.

Money no object, Owner really do take some beating though :thumbs:

Live to fish!!

Ive been using Sakuma Mantra extra's this year off the boat for smoothies and rays and cant fault them. they keep their point all day.

Me and my mate had one of those red letter days when we landed 19 smoothies between us in about 4 hours and didn't have to touch up the hooks once and the thickness of the hook and size of barb doesn't mean leaving a large hole either.

john

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Lady Helen Charter Boat Penarth S.Wales

www.ladyhelencharters.co.uk

Has anyone mentioned Kamasan Uptides yet? I use them for all of my rock fishing, after quitting Varivas due to their habit of losing their point (ie about 2mm of the point breaking off) when rock fishing. The kamasans can be reshaped, bent, sharpened and have a perfect combination of strength to lift large cod yet supple enough to bend out of snags with 30lb line.And they have a much stronger point then Varivas.

I urge anyone who hasn't tried them yet to just give them a shot, nothing ventured nothing gained!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Bought some Varivas big mouths from veals size 3o and 4o. A really great hook. I never knew there was that much difference until i tested them against some other hooks I use which are nowhere near as sharp.

Thanks for all your advice.

Edited by glennk

Has anyone mentioned Kamasan Uptides yet? I use them for all of my rock fishing, after quitting Varivas due to their habit of losing their point (ie about 2mm of the point breaking off) when rock fishing. The kamasans can be reshaped, bent, sharpened and have a perfect combination of strength to lift large cod yet supple enough to bend out of snags with 30lb line.And they have a much stronger point then Varivas.

I urge anyone who hasn't tried them yet to just give them a shot, nothing ventured nothing gained!

Thats a 'softer point' than Big Mouth's, but yes as a rock hook I can see the reason you use Kamasans, but on clean ground I'll wager the Big Mouth holding its sharpness longer against the Kamasan. Horses for courses. I use 4/0, 6/0, Big Mouths on clean ground many casts befor I need a new one. Its usualy the trace that gets to need changing, then I change the lot.

CJS2 :ph34r:

For a nights fishing 1 hook will usually see 5-8 casts for me then it will be binned off.

Thats about 1p per cast, not exactly expeensive, :lol: I find Big Mouths will last a whole session, with one lick on the point, then the trace is often knackerd.

Cliff

glen why 3/0 ? no wonder you only catch minows, i use 6/0 razor claw big bends for worm hooks as they are cheep[ bill costins fishing weights best price] and are sharp and have a small eye, for crab or cocktail baits it has to be the old sundrige specemin long shanks 6/0 but you need to hone them to a point as the are about as sharpe as a bic pen out of the packet.

Cheers Chris