here is a one to get you all going.

s_mac

A topic to get you all talking, thats the car clampers, maybe some of you have been clamped, or some of you have clampers employed to look after your parking.

i would love to hear your views.

regards

smac

woman want me, fish fear me

Guest long-trotter

Back in the early eighties when clamping was in it’s infancy and to put it bluntly mostly operated by Thugs, I attended an incident where a young girl had parked in a pub car park, there were no signs in those days and it was a free for all. The young girl called us as she was feeling threatend by this rather large guy who had clamped her car. As I pulled up in my jam sandwich the guy leapt in his van and tried to flee, I quickly blocked his escape by putting my car across the entrance, as I done this the clamper gave it toes so I went after him, a few minutes latter I had him in custody.

Turns out he was wanted for skipping bail so I duly took him back to the Nick for nice cup of tea and a chat that’s after getting him to release the young girls car free of charge.

If there are visible signs,clearly stating that vehicles are liable to be clamped, then I have no problem.

However, if there is a postcard size sign in a shop window, and the clampers remove your vehicle, I would take exception. If my vehicle was clamped, I would want to see the "Clear indication that clampers were in operation." I would then ask where my car was and if it had been removed would then contact the police to have the person arrested for theft as NOWHERE does it say vehicles would be removed (a legal requirement that even the police have to obey).

I would then have the clampers charged with extortion as they had NOT put a clear notice in a prominent place (which means that it must be able to be seen by idiots who chance their arm!)

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

In Scotland the use of wheel clamps on private land was banned overnight in 1992 (Black v Carmichael 1992 SCCR 709) as it was regarded as extortion. The police can clamp ones' car if one parks illegally on a public road, but are much more likely to simply tow away the offending vehicle.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Corydoras - I don't know about the law in Scotland, in England there is usually a "tow away zone" sign where the police can legally remove your vehicle. That's why we have the problem with the removal of untaxed cars!

Guest long-trotter
Corydoras - I don't know about the law in Scotland, in England there is usually a "tow away zone" sign where the police can legally remove your vehicle. That's why we have the problem with the removal of untaxed cars!

We have no problem removing untaxed vehicles, if you have a problem in your area or you know of a vehicle use this link http://forms.dvla.gov.uk/public/unlic_veh/report_online.htm

ALL clampers now have to be SIA registered and licensed, if they clamp you ask to see their SIA badge (it should actually be on display) before paying any fees, if they haven't got one or refuse to show it to you then you simply refuse to pay the release fee and insist on the police attending instead.

my favourite target when i was clamping...........lazy or stuck up goits who think the disabled parking bays are specially put in place for them even though they don't have a disabled parking permit.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Thank you Alan, too many of them think it is there for their convenience, I had one the other day cut in front of me to take the last one. When he showed me the finger, I parked behind him and called the police.

He got back before the police arrived and had to wait to get his ticket!! I hope that he may now change his mind about parking in disabled bays!! Barsteward!!!

I don't actually live there any more so not 100% sure but as far as I can remember any double yellow line in Scotland is a potential 'Tow Away Zone'. North of the border you can only be calmped by the police or another "statutory authority", but are much more likely to be towed away.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I don't actually live there any more so not 100% sure but as far as I can remember any double yellow line in Scotland is a potential 'Tow Away Zone'. North of the border you can only be calmped by the police or another "statutory authority", but are much more likely to be towed away.

Clamping is very rare in Scotland, and you would only be towed away if your car was causing a major obstruction. Much more likely to get that lovely yellow sticker on your windscreen and a fine.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..