Eels in Essex

Bugle Beachbuggy

Guest sandpipper

Hi, there was a repor on country file BBC1 about eels in essex i think they said they were only catching 10% of what they were getting 7 years ago?

Actually it is the numbers of returning elvers that are crashing.

With eels living up to 20 years before returning to breed just the one time, it will take a while for the drop in returning elvers to show up as the adult population slowly declines.

But every eel that lives long enough to attempt to make it back to the Sargasso sea helps, so I've long ago given up eating them (the fact that they are also carrying lots of heavy metals and other nasties, which could be part of the problem, also helps in deciding to forgo a dish of jellied eels!)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

As a lad my mates and I usedto catch lots of good eels from Bradwell creak.

We used nothing but peeler crabs for bait and carp rods and 2oz leads.

I caught 49 eels one day.

We also used to get lots of big flounders, both species are now scarse. If you fish Bradwell Creak now days all you will probably catch is small bass or if your really really luck a smoothound.

However in the Crouch I have noticed a distinct increase in eel numbers this year.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Good.

Ditto that. I use to fish the Tollesbury Creeks. I went out on a trawler from there a few times. The size of the flatfish that were pulled up in the net was an eye opener-huge b...... Hopefully next year I will have a Teal22 or Wilson23 to fish off the coast. I would like to fish the creeks for the eels and then go out and find bigger prey later that day.