Marine Protected Areas.

Steve Coppolo

1000,000 SEA ANGLERS, yer ok, I expect this is counting every person even people that have used a crab line!

If there are 1,000,000 sea anglers out there, there will be one hell of a lot of very unhappy people when they discover that their rights have been negotiated away on their behalf, ie, bag limits, licences, MPA's and compulsory catch and release, especially for not a lot in return. I wouldn't want to be the person/s responsible, that's for sure!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Yes, great Leon, but they don't have British commercial fishermen, DEFRA or Sea Fisheries Committees calling the shots over there. It makes a difference.

Don't drink and drive.

Hi Steve G.

I will answer your points one by one

What planet have you been on this lasted 20 years, french and channel isles boats have been longlining large amounts of tope off the sussex, hampshire and dorset coasts for years and french and belguim trawlers catch alot of tope as well.

SOS is well aware of this and hopefully with Defras help will be trying to make it a European issue if option 2 is sucessful

It seems to me that it is allright for these other eu boats to catch as much tope as they wish but when a couple of guys from lowestoft catch some then you jump on them you need to sort out your priorities or is it just a very bad case of you want all the marbles

The few guys you mentioned were trying to set up a full scale commercial fishery for tope on a national scale. I don't wish for anyone to lose their jobs but we all know with an established fishery the tope would be a thing of the past just like the spurdog in just a few years.

Any measures will be a waste of time as tope spend more time outside the 6 mile limit than inside it, any measures need to be done at EU level or not at all

The national tope consultation will apply to the 12 mile limit for English boats and the tope are in SW Scottish waters for 7 months

Just supposing tope were made an angler only fish, for your information tope are a TOP PREDATOR and when they reach plague vermin proportions will the sfc cull them. If a uk trawlerman catch tons of tope in his trawl will he be expected to just shovel them back only to catch them in the next tow

The sea managed to keep an ecological balance long before man came along and started raping it. I am aware tope are an Apex predator and have plenty of documented evidence suggesting just how important Apex predators are to a balanced eco system. It's the commercials that are changing the balance, nature can and will manage itself. To suggest they will reach vermin proportions is just balony especially when you say the French and Belguims are hammering them. I can't comment on the trawler reference because I haven't a clue how likely this is or whether it could be avoided.

One tope fishing charter boat will raise as much income as the Defra quoted £40,000 for total tope landings. Multiply that by a 100 charter boats and one doesn't need to be a mathematician to appreciate the tope are far better left in the sea on purely economic grounds, thats without the conservation issues.

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

when they discover that their rights have been negotiated away on their behalf, ie, bag limits, licences, MPA's and compulsory catch and release, especially for not a lot in return.

Hi Steve

have they then ? has that happened ?

cheers

Tom

Hello Tom

Not yet.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

Don't drink and drive.

Guest challenge
when they discover that their rights have been negotiated away on their behalf, ie, bag limits, licences, MPA's and compulsory catch and release, especially for not a lot in return.

Hi Steve

have they then ? has that happened ?

cheers

Tom

Was it not binatone who said (and I agree with him on this one) “that it was a strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles, the conduct of RSA affairs for private advantage”. He also “said that it would be better to change the locks than give DEFRA the keys to our hobby and sport” shortly after this they band him from this forum.

I wonder why?

Regards.

Edited by challenge

Was it not binatone who said (and I agree with him on this one) “that it was strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles, the conduct of RSA affairs for private advantage”. He also “said that it would be better to change the locks than give DEFRA the keys to our hobby and sport” shortly after this they band him from this forum.

I wonder why?

Regards.

:yeah: Probably because he is an arxxxxle hiding behind an alias :yeah:

Binotone said a lot, most of which was a load of bxxxxcks. I forgot you know him well.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Guest challenge
:yeah: Probably because he is an arxxxxle hiding behind an alias :yeah:

Binotone said a lot, most of which was a load of bxxxxcks. I forgot you know him well.

How could you forget I know him well? When I don’t know him well myself? I take it Ian that you are a mature human being? So why act so childish and then expect people to take you serious. Or is acting childish a way of satisfying your own frustrations?.

Binatone is not here to defend himself anymore. So give it a rest will you?