JOHN WILSON PIKE SYSTEM ROD

xiqual fish

I was just looking about at some rods online and saw this one.

it appears to be 3 rods in one, by using a diffrent bottom section it changes from a

Standard butt; 12ft pike rod 2.75lb 10-15lb line

to a Lure Stalking Butt; 9'6ft 1-3oz 10-15lb line.

to a American Baitcasting Butt; 7ft lure rod 1-3oz 10-15lb line.

but is it any good?

i would like to know your opinion

cheers

Seen them advertised but not used one.I struggle to see how a tip suitable for bait fishing can be any good for lure fishing (and of course vice versa) But as I said Ive not used one so cant really pass judgement.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I have one of the original six shooter rods that John had made up & sold from his shop in Norwich, 'tis an excellent little tool, far nicer than the present version.

As for this three in one version, have looked at it, didn't rate it, thought it over priced and walked away less than impressed. As for a seven foot lure rod with a handle better suited to shorter rods, and a fairly horrid handle at that, I'd steer clear of it.

Another side of the coin is that to be able to change from deadbaiting to lure fishing means setting up afresh. You can't just reel in your deadbait and flick out a lure, that requires two rods. A half reasonable deadbait rod can be had for £50.00 to £100 whilst a very good lure rod can be had for £30.00 to £50.00.

Edited by Peter Waller

I’ve seen them going for about £60 (usually £100) and thought it would be a good introductory rod as I’m right on the first run of the ladder with pike so would let me try out the different styles. But if I did buy it I wouldn’t be getting another rod for some time so if there's a chance its no good I may re think

If they are down to £60.00 then myabe, but such a price drop indicates that they couldn't sell it at full price, I wonder why.

I have 2 John Wilson's rods one is an Avon set and its really well made and I would definately buy another, the other is a single handed rod , a six shooter lure rod and again its really well made. I had a 19lb 3 pike on that deadbaiting with it in a boat ! It was strong enough to get her in without any real fuss.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

If they are down to £60.00 then myabe, but such a price drop indicates that they couldn't sell it at full price, I wonder why.

Peter

What do you recommend as a good price starter pike rod ? and what sort of things should I be looking for ? never tried for pike but hope to go sometime.

Ali

Peter

What do you recommend as a good price starter pike rod ? and what sort of things should I be looking for ? never tried for pike but hope to go sometime.

Ali

I doubt that much of my tackle is still available! So my personal recommendations would be of little value. The man to ask is Budgie and Andrew Burgess. Andrew's tackle tends to be less than a month old, so much does he buy!

Peter,Andrews tackle is that new and up to date most of it aint even in the shops yet! Im like you mate most of my gear is now no longer available!

I know all three of us agree that the older Drennan range of Pike rods (Pike Float and Pike Deadbait) were very good for their price (under £100) the Pike Float in my opinion also being one of the best Zed rods avaiable off the peg as well.I have not used their newer versions so cant comment.

There, like most areas these days is a lot of £50 pike rods avaiable.I havnt used any of them so wouldnt like to comment.

What I look for though is for bait fishing from the bank a 12' non fast taper rod with a test curve of 2 3/4 - 3lb. Handle types and materials are down to personal choice.You should always check that the reel fittings will take the reel of your choice! might sound obvious but try asking a few JW Avon/Barbel system rod owners who tried to put their trusty Mitchells on them! As for rings I dont think there is a need for scillicon carbide but a good quality lined ring will last a life time.As for number of rings,well providing your not wanting to use a multiplier on it it is once again down to personal preference.

Maybe someone who actually owns and uses one of the new Drennan or Fox Pike rods can comment?

Funnily despite Andrew even wearing Fox underpants he doesnt actually buy their rods! Maybe there is some hope left for him! Mind you I bet Uncle Cliff wont stop trying to tempt him!

{2009 Editor's Note: to view John Wilson tackle for sale, please click here}

Edited by Elton

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!