Boots... advice please

snotty

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for a comfortable lightweight waterproof boot?

I'm pretty fed up with wellies which are waterproof but not great for walking in.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...requestid=39787

These are what I'm using at the mo'. They don't cost that much, shipping is cheap, but you'll have a cracking boot that's actually designed for fishing. I've many years hiking experience behind me, so I know the value of good footwear. There are plenty of this type of boot available here, but so far as I've seen they all have their niggles. A good pair of hiking boots good often be as good, but I went for these as they are easier to clean. It depends if you are mobile or static, which type to choose. Skee-Tex Moon boots are excellent for sitting in all day, I just can't get a pair in my size.

Saw the post and was just going to suggest Moon Boots myself!! OR any of the thermal insert boots! VERY easy on the feet I find! In fact I got some Ron Thompsons last year for under £20 and was VERY happy indeed!!

What size are you Ducktape?? I just foind a pair in the lockup tonight!! THINK they are an 11??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I have a decent pair of walking boots for the warmer weather and I wear skeetex in the winter. I never get cold feet and as I mainly fish the rivers I do not have a problem walking in them.

Would recommend them to anyone.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Ive never found thermal "Moonboot" type foot wear very comfortable to walk long distances in.Normally I dont stay static for long in the Winter so cold feet isnt to much of a problem.However I was given a great tip a few years back for those times when a long walk is needed to get to the swim but once there you are static.That was to simply take a piece of foam matting (the camping type bed rolls are good if cut up) and put this under your boots! Not in them bur just between them and the ground,works a treat.

Normally in the wet/mud I wear just a normal pair of wellies.Waterproof and easy to clean.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie - even better when you need to walk and then sit for a while is to get a pair of Overboots / Boot covers

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You can get all sorts of variations Budgie. Some do have decent soles on them. Take a look on www.Cabelas.com and search for Boot Covers

While you are there and if you want to spend a little more time looking around, they have all sorts of 15-17" tall fabric or leather boots that are waterproof and insulated to some degree. Anything down to boots designed for comfort at mild temperatures (roughly -10ºC to -30ºC) to cold temperatures (good down to -90ºC) and a fair amount of walking.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I think that much depends on what type of fishing you want to use them for eg static, roving or a bit of both. Personally, I have tried umpteen varieties over the years, both moonboot type and field boots, all of which have had good and bad points. I have now settled on a pair of lightweight Gortex Brasher walking boots which coupled with the right socks can be worn all year round and are extremely comfortable. They are expensive compaired to most but the comfort and lightness to me is well worth it, particularly in the winter when most of my fishing is walking a river bank. They also give you good feel as to what sort of ground that you are walking on which I think is also important. The only downside is that they need regular attention in terms of cleaning, waxing and polishing to keep them in good nick

The only downside is that they need regular attention in terms of cleaning, waxing and polishing to keep them in good nick

And wearing in combination with gaiters if you're likely to encounter mud that's deeper than the boot...