East Coast

Slack lines

Would it be worth going out for a day (on a boat) from Brid or Whitby? I've read of French trawlers dragging everything up off the bottom, and don't want to waste my time, or money, going on a fruitless trip. Or would I be better going further North/South?

Thanks, Ian.

Making the most of it

Chi dorme non piglia pesci

Would it be worth going out for a day (on a boat) from Brid or Whitby? I've read of French trawlers dragging everything up off the bottom, and don't want to waste my time, or money, going on a fruitless trip. Or would I be better going further North/South?

Thanks, Ian.

Hi Ian,

I would say it would be well worth going out. We were out yesterday from brid on my own boat , had a disaster but thats another story. The chat on the radio gave the impression everyone was catching. Theres big tope and thornies to be had if you get the right skipper. I would pm topecatcher on that one but hurry before they leave. Theres also them funny spiny silver things being caught.

I am sure someone from whitby will be along to let you know how they are doing there.

Cheers

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Thanks, Ian.

Dont know how Whitby boats are fisihing at the moment Slack but they have just had one of the best summers (and last winter) for a few yrs. Pick a good boat and you will always have an exiting day even if you do not fill-up.

As for Brid., dont even bother expensive,non triers,unless you like billet bashing round head-end Those lads just have not moved with the times i am afraid .

Hi all new to this site but not to fishing

i would have to agree to fastd, brid is worth a shot with the right skipper , i was out on sunday on my own boat , we had 2 tope and lost another 2 , topecatcher had a party out and got int some nice ling 3 that nearly went 20lb and they looked to have a good few cod to he had some tope the week befor to so its not all whitings and mack's at brid

cheers Chris

Guest challenge

i would have to agree to fastd, brid is worth a shot with the right skipper , i was out on sunday on my own boat , we had 2 tope and lost another 2 , topecatcher had a party out and got int some nice ling 3 that nearly went 20lb and they looked to have a good few cod to he had some tope the week befor to so its not all whitings and mack's at brid

cheers Chris

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the report cps. Targeting and catching tope, sounds as if they have most certainly moved with the times.

cheers Chris

Looks like ther is a forward thinking skipper at Brid then.

All I have seen over the last 10yrs or so is them landing-usually all strung up billets, whitng, dabs, mackrel, and wrasse yes seen lads landing strings full of wrasse whats that all about?

They are still fishing the same ground that before the 80 s you could fillup on most days . That ground has been destroyed by trammel nets and heavy towing. On any weekend though you can see from Flambrough cliffs the cobbles all anchoured-up within casting distance of the shore.

Please tell me if I am wrong but this is what i am seeing 1st hand.