couple of questions

Guest long-trotter

Grossly overstocked commercial fisheries could become an anti-cruelty target, which could easily spread to the whole of angling.

Main threat is probably 'carp style' fishing, and by that I mean obnoxious 'anglers' with no sense of watercraft or love of nature, obsessed with weights, the latest wonder rig, the next wonder bait, and out to enjoy socials (i.e. boozing) with mates. As with everything, the loud minority is the one that's noticed by everyone else. And these seem to be the only people taking up fishing at the moment, and then giving up a few years later.

Foxhunting was banned because of the people who participated - angling (albeit in the other direction, class-wise) could fall into the same middle-England trap.

I was trying to find a way to put my thoughts on here, no need now. Anderoo said it all for me.

Cheers mate :thumbs:

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grossly overstocked commercial fisheries could become an anti-cruelty target, which could easily spread to the whole of angling.

Main threat is probably 'carp style' fishing, and by that I mean obnoxious 'anglers' with no sense of watercraft or love of nature, obsessed with weights, the latest wonder rig, the next wonder bait, and out to enjoy socials (i.e. boozing) with mates. As with everything, the loud minority is the one that's noticed by everyone else. And these seem to be the only people taking up fishing at the moment, and then giving up a few years later.

Foxhunting was banned because of the people who participated - angling (albeit in the other direction, class-wise) could fall into the same middle-England trap.

You're singing my song once again, Anderoo. I've never fished a commercial like you describe, and frankly, I've got no desire to. Although my 10 year old son keeps pestering me to take him somewhere where he can "easily catch a carp". Had a great day with him on the local canal at the weekend. Mixed species: Roach, perch, dace to a decent size. Got a bit dark for my eyes, so he poached my swim and got a nice tench! Made him forget about about carp for a while.

OI OI ,

BIGGEST PROBLEM Mmmm LET ME SEE AHhhhhhh i know

MAN !!!!!!!!!!

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

The biggest danger to angling is from angling and anglers

Our biggest problem is the internal strife and division within our ranks and the apparant ease which other anglers appear to have when dismissing angling practices that they either don't like or don't approve of

Those that are against angling will use any internal discord to further their own disreputable campaigns and anglers either unwittingly or uncaringly supply the ammunition needed

Isn't that roughly what I said?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Perhaps the biggest threat to angling is that everyone is reading this forum instead of getting out and doing it.

Seriously though, my most enjoyed fishing is on the river bank. Unfortunatly long stretches are no longer fished and are being dropped by clubs in favour of a pond with a nice carpark etc.

Modern life styles often mean time spent on our leasure pursuits is erroding. This means for quickness, comfort and ease you head somewhere that is easy. You know the methods, where the fish are and probably have all your rods ready set up. Its like going to the super market rather the grocers, butcher etc.

Modern day life makes people want it easy and if conditions are not perfect you turn on the telly instead.

Perhaps the real pleasure of angling is being lost.

I am sometimes guilty of this so now try more methods such as wallis casting, stalking etc. You get to see more of the countryside and get away from modern pressures which for me is what its all about.

get out there, get doing it, and be a diplomat for the sport at the same time.

Guest long-trotter

Some very good points raised, especially about commercials. There also seems to be regional issues, I am not so convinced as to the threat by economic migrants to fishing. In the west country we have had little to no problem down here. I see it is being debated on another thread so I will leave that there.