Potential Ballan Wrasse record eaten

Toerag

They are quite nice to eat, a bit like plaice. Older Jersey people and the local Portugese population like them. They are a traditional ingredient in French fish soups I believe.

I keep a few 3 -4lbers every year for my parents. They are a fish best eaten really fresh as the flesh turns quickly. They have quite a lot of bones but they are large and easily separated when cooked.

The only one I ever ate was completely and absolutely tasteless but looked nice and white and flaky. Cleaning and preparing it was difficult as they are armour plated - the scales are hard as they evolved to protect the fish when bashed into rocks (their preferred habitat) by turbulent currents. I have only seen them in French recipes when mixed in with other species in stews. Not a species I target for the pot, anyway!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

There is an Alderney recipe which involves them being soaked in milk overnight. The big problem is cutting them up, my brother had a 6lb'er once, we had to take the tail off with an axe! The flesh does look good, but I believe there's not much taste. The scales go like a pine-cone when you cook them which is quite cool.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

A skipper once told me they tasted like an oily rag?! Since then I've always chucked e'm back.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

The flesh of a wrasse is not oily or even remotely chewy so the the oily rag comparison is definitely wrong.

Taking the scales off before cooking is a good idea but the same applies to red mullet.

I would fry the fish in some nice butter with a few finely sliced onions and maybe a bit of garlic.

Like most things the trick is in the cooking, boiled parsnips taste like toxic sludge but roasted parsnips with a bit of meat juices and honey tipped over them and allowed to caramelise taste divine, at least I think so!