Prowler on the roof

blobby

post-10307-1159360566_thumb.jpgWhat’s the best way to transport a prowler on a roof rack.

I transported mine upside down on the roof bars, but at 4.5 meters long there is a fair bit overhanging the roof area at the front and rear of the vehicle. The bow and stern of the yak were flexing the middle a little but not enough for me to worry about short term. Do you think this may cause long term problems or should I transport it on its side?

If I have attached the picture correctly you can see what I mean, however in the picture the yak was a little further to the rear of the car than when I finally lashed it down

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know what you mean Blobby, I have the same dilemma. I think i have it right but ther is a fine balance between getting it right and ratcheting the thing down too tight and distorting the hull. Mines been on the car 6 times now and seems to be ok, and my car is much smaller than yours, although given yours is a pick, the roof is probably bigger on mine.

Have you though abouth rigging some kind of frame in the rear flatbed to support the arse of the boat?

OK prowler 13a Flame

www.ukbass.co.uk

Sea Anglers Conservation Network

So far I have just strapped it to the roof rather like you, although we donlt have to drive far over here. I quite like the look of these for giving a bit more support to the hull

http://www.clcboats.com/transport.php

but if, like me, you're a gadget freak and, unlike me, have some spare cash then how about http://www.prolineracks.com/thule-897xt-hu...kayak-rack.html

Being 5 foot 4 it's quite a struggle lifting the prowler up onto the roof, and as I have just replaced my old renault estate with a Jeep Cherokee this system has caught my eye.

Know what you mean Blobby, I have the same dilemma. I think i have it right but ther is a fine balance between getting it right and ratcheting the thing down too tight and distorting the hull. Mines been on the car 6 times now and seems to be ok, and my car is much smaller than yours, although given yours is a pick, the roof is probably bigger on mine.

Have you though abouth rigging some kind of frame in the rear flatbed to support the arse of the boat?

I did think about rigging something from the back of the pickup for extra support, but wondered if it was just overkill

So far I have just strapped it to the roof rather like you, although we donlt have to drive far over here. I quite like the look of these for giving a bit more support to the hull

but if, like me, you're a gadget freak and, unlike me, have some spare cash then how about http://www.prolineracks.com/thule-897xt-hu...kayak-rack.html

Being 5 foot 4 it's quite a struggle lifting the prowler up onto the roof, and as I have just replaced my old renault estate with a Jeep Cherokee this system has caught my eye.

Cheers for that I wish I had a spare 200 quid

Count yourselves lucky!

I am 5ft 9 ish and have to lift my drifter on top of my Mercedes Vito Van!

Just about manage it but hard work!

Hopefully I will have a fishing partner to help me on most occassions :clap:

Anyone else have a van and put kayak on roof rack?

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

First thing your doing it the right way for a single yak, straps shouldn't need tightening up too much, just enough to stop her slipping around, if your denting the deck sounds like you might be going a little too tight, any dents should pop out in the sun.

Even if mounted on their side can cause denting depending on which make/model of kayak and the thickness of it's skin, again these will pop out given time and enough sun.

If the kayak is stored hull down or on thin rails, then expect dents, these can be permanent so take care when storing and store deck or side down.

I stick my Caper on the roof of my T25 occassionally use a pair of steps and balance on my head. Barramundi is about my height (wrong side of 5' 7") and puts an old board bag on the back of his VW van and pushes his Prowler and Scupper on from the back, he has a ally ladder with thick padding which he uses to climb up and strap, makes it look easy.

My Prowler 13 goes in the back of the T25, a couple of weeks ago I did manage to push it a little hard and cracked the windscreen @£$%$£.

There are various gizmo's available to make loading easier such as :

http://www.kari-tek.co.uk/

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

First thing your doing it the right way for a single yak, straps shouldn't need tightening up too much, just enough to stop her slipping around, if your denting the deck sounds like you might be going a little too tight, any dents should pop out in the sun.

Even if mounted on their side can cause denting depending on which make/model of kayak and the thickness of it's skin, again these will pop out given time and enough sun.

If the kayak is stored hull down or on thin rails, then expect dents, these can be permanent so take care when storing and store deck or side down.

I stick my Caper on the roof of my T25 occassionally use a pair of steps and balance on my head. Barramundi is about my height (wrong side of 5' 7") and puts an old board bag on the back of his VW van and pushes his Prowler and Scupper on from the back, he has a ally ladder with thick padding which he uses to climb up and strap, makes it look easy.

My Prowler 13 goes in the back of the T25, a couple of weeks ago I did manage to push it a little hard and cracked the windscreen @£$%$£.

There are various gizmo's available to make loading easier such as :

http://www.kari-tek.co.uk/

SM :)

You must be very agile SM to be able to balance on your head and still manage

to get the Caper on the roof :o:D:D

Kayaks:

Scupper Pro TW (yellow)

Prowler 13 angler (green)

I wouldn't trust the Jeep bars too much---I was driving behind someone with a yak on thier Jeep and the bars gave way and it flew off and broke in two!

s2vto yes I have a van and it is so easy,mind you it's a Peuguot 206 :D

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Just a tip for the Jeep owner. Make sure the straps only go around the actual bar and not the rail bracket that the bar goes into. If you dont you could end up in big do doos. :(:wallbash::thumbs:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Thanks darnsarf - sounds like the voice of experience.

OK - after reading this I am going to get the Thule bars that fit in the Jeep rails and bin the jeep bars. I did notice a fair bit of flex in them when I had a B&Q shed strapped to the roof and yes - I did put the straps through the bracket :doh: I haven't tried putting the Yak on them yet, thankfully

Lesson learned the easy way for once :clap2: