Hengistbury Head

Scotty T

Am thinking of fishing Hengisbury Head nr Bournemouth tomorrow night, I have never fished it before, I normally fish Chesil or the Purbeck rock marks, if anyone knows Hengisbury Head well i'd appreciate some pointers or advice, high water is about 8pm. Cheers.

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

i know it well but haven't fished it because of the walk involved...so travel light.

Probably worth aiming to get there a little early due to the walk and the tides generally producing more before the turn rather than after it around here.

From what i hear its a mixed bag, good for bass, cod have been had off it (few years ago), but there are rocks at the end and one side (cant remember which).

Good luck

did fish it a few times last year, long walk so take a bike in the back of the car & go round the tarmac.

real current running round the groyne, cast a lure to the west & it'll be draged round to the east by time you retrieve.

worked the end of the groyne in rotation with the other anglers, bit of a circle dance!

fish : mackerell & wrasse

very snaggy straight out

clear to the west

a lovely spot, very romantic in evening walking past the beach huts only lit by candle light so take a good woman fishing friend

Macks & Bass / Pollack / Pout etc

Good fun 'trotting' for garfish!

Watch out if it's rough

Long walk from 'Noddy Train' or 'sunken' car parks - worth taking a bike from 'noddy train' and going the 'back way'

beach in front of huts produces as well as beach on southbourne side (sunken car park) chance of a cod from here.

(big tide this weekend?)

Tog

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Hi all, fished Hengisbury Head on friday night, only for about 3 hours, last few hours of the flood. Made the mistake of walking along the beach, got probably two thirds of the way to the groyne and thought sod it this will do! Its a lovly stretch of beach and I can't believe why i've never fished it before. Bait wise I had rag and squid, first fish was a black bream just under a pound, folowed by a small bass (and I mean small). Then as the light faded I was plagued by small pout, to the point where I cast out a big worm bait on a pennel and had a pout on each hook! I took my carp rod and some rapalas so decided to livebait a pout but to no avail, did have a good knock on a whole squid but missed the bugger, with so many bait fish about its easy to see why there are some very big bass caught around this mark at this time of year, spoke with a guy who was spinning up a down the beach who said he'd had a couple of mackeral, and as i walked back there was a bunch of guys fishing at the start of the beach who were having similar pout problems. Will definatley be fishing it again soon now i've got a better idea of what the place is like.

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time