Braid

mr motorola

i've been fishing with braid for quite a few years now , and have been using penn dynabraid 80lb . i've always found that if you're using anything slightly substantial as a trace line ie. 50-60lb (mono) and get snagged on the bottom , my mainline is breaking. i've checked through all my eyes on rod (even different rod) for snags / chinks and chips in eyes and their all fine, i don't want to move away from penn as i've always liked using their gear. have PENN gone crap with gear or am i doing something wrong or ?????? please help! :giveup:

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

IMHO you can't beat powerpro braid,and if you can, get someone who is going to the States to get you some.Its much cheaper over there.

thanks for that info steve , i don't really know anyone who is heading in that direction at the moment though, will have a look around on net and tackle shops , how much should i be looking to pay i don't wanna be getting ripped off?

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

I've never liked to Dynabraid, cheap and not very cheerfull IMO. You won't go wrong with Berkley Whiplash, not cheap but then you get what you pay for.

Scott

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

I've never liked to Dynabraid, cheap and not very cheerfull IMO. You won't go wrong with Berkley Whiplash, not cheap but then you get what you pay for.

Scott

thanks again scotty t

I would agree with Scott Whiplash Pro is excellent stuff. I use 30lb for all my Ray and cod fishing and have never had a problem. 25lb for bass and lighter fishing.

Do you use a leader? Braid is not the best for taking abrasion 10-20' of mono slightly lighter than the main line is the way to go. Also although you say you have checked your rings, if they are of the ceramic variety it will only need the minutest bit of damage they will then cut like knife through butter. Tip ring is the most usual suspect

Martin

visit http://www.pbsbac.co.uk for small boat angling on the south coast

Whiplash - the 30lb is quite susceptible to wear as it's so thin, the 50lb is significantly tougher and what I use now. 65lb is too strong, you can't break it out of snags! 50lb fireline is virtually indestructable, but much, much thicker than whiplash.

I think braid should be bought by diameter, because that's really the deciding factor on it's toughness and perceived strength. However very few braids have their diameter mentioned, yet there are vast differences in thickness between the brands. I think from memory 65lb whiplash is thinner than 20lb fireline!

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com