Centerpin Fishing

Markie

Hmmm...grey skies....lots of rain.....dodgy wind.....excessive talk of centrepins.....

Must be getting to Timsbury time again!

Taking my niece's lad out for his 2nd ever fishing trip today, to the local carp puddle.

This time I'm taking my own rod and pin for a little bit of fun.

Off to Timsbury in a couple of weeks (actualy less) with a couple of ex-collegues :)

(Oh! and Dunk)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what God gave you a gob for ;)

Haha....It's big Cory, but not that big!!!!

And there was me thinking that you'd won that Witcher on Ebay the other day after it was withdrawn Glen....

Paul

I made the mistake of combining two experiments; buying a centrepin, and trotting with braid. I really like the lack of stretch of the braid for controlling the float. With a bit of line grease it's incredibly crisp for mending the line. I may use it again for trotting from a fixed spool reel. Having spent yesterday trying mono on the 'pin, I have to say I won't be putting braid on it again. What a difference; I can actually cast the damn thing now.

I also had a go with the 'pin on my old Harrison canal rod. Wow. That's fun. I've not used the canal rod for some years. It's the lightest blank I've ever used, with a spliced tip and an action that will bend all the way to the butt. The soft tip flicks a 4 No4 stick float even using the 'pin, and now that it's got mono on it my casting is more Wallis and less wally. Not really suitable for anything but light tackle on tiny rivers (although I think it would be fun for grayling, if not terribly efficient) but I think I'll get some more use out of it.

Steve no need to grease most braids as they float.

I have used both mono and braid on my pins and have no problem casting with either be interested to hear what problems you had?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Steve no need to grease most braids as they float.

This was a sinking braid I happened to have (Drennan Feeder braid).

I have used both mono and braid on my pins and have no problem casting with either be interested to hear what problems you had?

Simply didn't work as well. Hard to put my finger on why. It always felt somehow clumsy, like floatfishing with heavy mono. It wasn't the diameter, the 3lb mono I replaced it with was thicker. Maybe the friction or the limpness. The mono just seems to spool off the 'pin more cleanly.

I'm sure I remember someone else saying that his Wallis casting went to pot when he put braid on; Leon?

i had to get used to casting again with braid (power pro) and it took a while to get used to (trying) wallis cast ,it probably was a mixture of the rod i was using and the limpness but soon adapted i've now took it off as i'm going to timsbury on the 22nd and have respooled with ultima flo-cast floating line which is very smooth its not as good as braid for line pick up and has a little stretch in it but overall its a good line,i will be putting the 20lb power pro back on one reel and keep the flo cast on the other.one thing i've noticed with braid however is the noise it makes going through the rings but in a years use hasn't caused any damage to the rings what so ever its colour has faded a bit (might dye it) but it has done well so far its just got to pass the grayling test or should that be the test grayling !! :yeah:

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Hmm.

Try this on eBay...

Item number 280035307616

...£660 at the mo, with 6 days left to run!

Makes the Chris Lythe look positively cheap.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Steve W,Im at a loss to offer any reasons other than the fact you had greased the braid maybe?

For what its worth I use Spiderwire (the origonal not Stealth or Fussion) in 10lb BS (aprox same diameter as 2lb mono).My end tackle is normally quite heavy ie Chubbers/Loafers/Avons rather than light sticks.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!