• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Oct 14 2006, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap2: One caught out of Weymouth earlier this year. :clap2:

Must be one of the Oban escapees...... :blink::P:blink:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Are there many caught on rod and line in Britain these days?.

Probably not unless by accident. Mainly because nobody fishes them. They are still around but not (even based on commercial landings) in the same numbers.

Shetland, Orkney, Dunnet Head (east) or West of Skye are your best chances with WNW of Lochinver being prime. Got the actual mark but not on a forum, PM if you want more.

Probably not unless by accident. Mainly because nobody fishes them. They are still around but not (even based on commercial landings) in the same numbers.

Shetland, Orkney, Dunnet Head (east) or West of Skye are your best chances with WNW of Lochinver being prime. Got the actual mark but not on a forum, PM if you want more.

Maybe a dozen or so landed at Whitby this year that I know biggest about 20lb but the Whitby lads will have a better idea. There were twice that number on the market one morning from one shot,trawler working locally in fact there was more halibut than cod! this was in june. Lovely fish for eating.

Guest challenge
Maybe a dozen or so landed at Whitby this year that I know biggest about 20lb but the Whitby lads will have a better idea. There were twice that number on the market one morning from one shot,trawler working locally in fact there was more halibut than cod! this was in june. Lovely fish for eating.

I think the boat you mean Clem (copious) caught them, twin rigging down at the north east bank.

It’s much deeper water and good for the odd but or two.

Was talking to the skipper yesterday he had just change over to go in pursuit of them again.

North east bank is not exactly Whitby. but on saying that we use to catch plenty of small buts trawling hard ashore in the soft at robin hoods bay, not very big but plenty of them march April time.

I think the boat you mean Clem (copious) caught them, twin rigging down at the north east bank.

It’s much deeper water and good for the odd but or two.

Was talking to the skipper yesterday he had just change over to go in pursuit of them again.

North east bank is not exactly Whitby. but on saying that we use to catch plenty of small buts trawling hard ashore in the soft at robin hoods bay, not very big but plenty of them march April time.

Copious has plenty of halibuts early this year probably going into the hundreds i myself had one given of richard the skipper for my mother as she loves the stuff .

Some of the halibuts were as much as 25kilos one hell of a fish to catch on a rod and line but a year back in july a guy on a 10 hr trip fishing only 3 miles of runswich bay caught one 34lb that was some fish cost him £1000 as he didnt enter the angling festival on the day big mistake, came back to whitby in july this year entered the festival but unfortunatly lightning doesnt often strick twice. :(

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge

I remember when I was fishing with Howard locker we landed at Aberdeen and I walked up the quay to look at a shot of fish of a Norwegian boat that had just landed.

The halibut where laid all the way up the quay.

Smallest at one end of the quay largest at the other.

I walked up and looked at the smallest it weighed 14 stone did not bother looking at any more.