Fishing plans for 2007

Ken L

Matt, you should seriously look at France. Two years ago I lost a fish that must have gone 8lb from a little river running into lake Anasey. I lost it because I hadn't got a net and it was to big to get my hand accross its shoulders. Not only was it a monster, it was the smallest of a pair of fish that had me ditching the lures in favour of whatever I could cobble together from the bits of tackle I had with me.

Sounds fantastic. Whereabouts is Anasey? Was the fishing generally good, or was it just the chub?

john clarke

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm planning to be off to The Andaman Islands in January followed by chasing Barramundi and Jacks in Goa and another inland excursion after the Mahseer.

When I get back to the UK, I want to try to really make the most of the early season river fishing because I missed so much of it this year following my eye surgery, I particularly want to get the fly rods out for the pike, chub and barbel on the middle Severn.

Ken, I've been thinking about this and it sounds fascinating fishing. I do hope you let us know how you get on.

I'm particularly intigued by the fly fishing for barbel - presumably imitating minnows? Down here on the Kennet a lot of people only bother with barbel after dusk, but presumably any kind of lure fishing is in daylight. If someone gave me, and I suspect most of us, a fly rod on the bank of the Severn I wouldn't even know where to start - so I hope we can have a thread on this next summer.

Good luck on your overseas trip, also!

john clarke

I'm particularly intigued by the fly fishing for barbel - presumably imitating minnows?

Erm, no. I made up half a dozen "flies" last winter from a string of translusent brown beads covered in epoxy and threaded/bonded to a hook shank. They look for all the world like a caster and I was planning on feeding hemp and casters and then droping a "fly" into the take zone on a flourocarbon leader and a little #5 weight rod. I would have done it this year but my UK fishing got severely restricted for various reasons.

With luck, I will fish the Andermans, Goa and the Cauvery on the forthcomming trip and will try to keep a tread on hear updated with most of what I get up to.

I admit to getting rather exited about the Anderman Islands. I'll be meating up with a Danish mate out there and we intend to do some serious fishing.

"Whereabouts is Anasey?" 45*47'30.38" N 6*13'37.46" E.

I only took the rod out once and lost my only fish but it really was a beast. Locals mainly troll for pike and trout from th lake itself for the table.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.