Fresh Maggots - The best place to buy them

ktlou

Hello...

I'm looking for a bit of advice.. Where is the best place to buy/get fresh maggots from - pref mail order?

How do you store them?

Sorry if these are really stupid questions - don't know much about fishing... although I am starting to take an interest - much to my husbands delight!!

Thanks,

Ktlou

Hello...

I'm looking for a bit of advice.. Where is the best place to buy/get fresh maggots from - pref mail order?

How do you store them?

Sorry if these are really stupid questions - don't know much about fishing... although I am starting to take an interest - much to my husbands delight!!

Thanks,

Ktlou

your local tackle dealer i would think is the best place to buy your maggots....store them in a cool dark place,,the colder the better..ie the fridge lol

not sure about the mail order thing...wont they die !!! they need air to breathe..... :)

your local tackle dealer i would think is the best place to buy your maggots....store them in a cool dark place,,the colder the better..ie the fridge lol

not sure about the mail order thing...wont they die !!! they need air to breathe..... :)

Thanks for that.. I'm sure I heard that you could buy them mail order.. maybe I dreamt it!! I suppose they would die...

I'll try the tackle shop I think..

Thanks!

Hi ktlou and welcome to AN. With a name like that you could be one of Newts cousins ;)

As Mark said I think the best place for maggots is a tackle shop, if you get to a good one they're worth their weight in fish, offering advise and information on tactics and venues etc. When buying the maggots have a good look at them, if they have a feed mark, (that's a little black thing inside, just behind the head) then you will know that they are fresh.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi ktlou and welcome to AN. With a name like that you could be one of Newts cousins ;)

As Mark said I think the best place for maggots is a tackle shop, if you get to a good one they're worth their weight in fish, offering advise and information on tactics and venues etc. When buying the maggots have a good look at them, if they have a feed mark, (that's a little black thing inside, just behind the head) then you will know that they are fresh.

Just an update from my earlier posts.. I have found two online shops which sell fresh maggots..

wormsdirectuk and vermisell.co.uk (But still will go to tackle shop first!) It costs about £4.95 for 1 pint which includes post & packing. Does that sound about right?

Hello...

How do you store them?

Thanks,

Ktlou

Hi Ktlou, read this thread about storing maggots link. Sorry moodyboy but it still makes me laugh :lol: .

Hi Ktlou,

Id go with Gozzer, you'd get cheaper (and most likely fresher) maggots at a tackle shop. That said, these places are dangerous - you go in with clarity of mind expecting to spend 2quid and in a daze of insanity, you come out with 20 things you dont really need and probably £50 lighter. :blink:

Edited by RPM

Hi Ktlou, read this thread about storing maggots link. Sorry moodyboy but it still makes me laugh :lol: .

That is warning on the dangers of maggots !!!:headhurt:

Although I laugh now!!!

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

Hello...

How do you store them?

Thanks,

Ktlou

maggots from your tackle shop are around 3 quid a pint, and look for maggots with a large black spot in them, the larger the fresher and softer the grubs will be, try to avoid maggots that have tough skins and small feed spots as these are last weeks maggots and not as appetizing for the fish.

most stockists get fresh bait each week so ask for the fresh bait not last weeks, if the maggots are smallish and have small feed-spots and tuff skins, then change your tackle shop supplier as you will catch more on nice soft maggots.

Edited by kempo

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Buy maggots from your local tackle shop. A reputable shop will never have maggots more than a few days old as they get them twice a week from their suppliers. If you are going to keep them you may want to riddle them off put in some fresh maize and stick them back in the bait fridge.