Jacks in Yaks......

Mark Crame

Well, today I was finally able to get a whole day with nice weather to myself, and just myself, to go piking on the yak.

Launching at around 10am onto the Waveney I proceeded to paddle about a mile downstream, trolling two lures, and then back up and a couple more miles upstream before heading back to the starting point and a mile downstream and back. I'd say I covered 5 miles in 5 hours.

My first bit of excitement was a monster run on one rod. This I'd had high hopes for as it had a Rapala Super Shad Rap attached - supposed to be a real pike taker par-excellence. Well, my high hopes became near sobs as this lure, which was on its first trip having been brought back from South Africa by my parents as a gift from my aunt was not in fact running. Nope, it wasn't moving at all. And try as I might I could not detach it from whatever had fouled it. Ten minutes later and my 20lb trace wire parted. The first snag I haven't cleared since changing to braid. Dammit.

Re-rigged and on my way upstream one rod started to do funny things. Hardly surprising considering what was happening at the other end:

DSCF0465.jpg

Jack had struck! And off he went:

DSCF0466.jpg

First one way:

DSCF0468.jpg

then another:

DSCF0469.jpg

and then he was in the net, an unhooking mat spread beneath him to protect him from bashing himself on the hard plastic of the yak and, unplanned but appreciated, to keep his slime off my legs:

DSCF0473.jpg

after a moment or two he was unhooked and ready to go back in, having been quickly weighed at 2lb. One last picture and he was slowly placed in the water and held alongside until recovered (3 seconds or so) and he slipped off into the depths:

DSCF0475.jpg

Brilliant. So, it worked well, the landing net with short handle was easy to manipulate and carry, the speed and depth was right etc etc. Time for a sandwich then I carried on.

After another half an hour I decided to turn back downstream. A few bits of weed were snagged, some more lures tried and so on. At one point I had a possible hit, but it may have been an obstruction.

After casting a lure with no luck in a small bay that I used to fish successfully as a kid I decided to troll back up to my starting point. A few minutes later and I heard one of my reels screeching. What was happening?

DSCF0477.jpg

yep, Jackie was making a dash for the table with MY lure! Again, off in one direction:

DSCF0476.jpg

then another:

DSCF0478.jpg

and then she also came into the boat:

DSCF0480.jpg

A better fish at double the size (a 4lb'er) she was unhooked and photographed with me by a group of lads who were enjoying their half-term with a decent spot of fishing - if you read this, thanks guys, much appreciated

DSCF0481.jpg

and off she went after a few seconds rest down into the river.

That was it, it was time to pack up and go home. A splendid day, very mild for the end of October, no wind, no rain, patches of blue in the sky and water that got in, soaked my trousers and boots but didn't make me cold, and a couple of fish to boot.

To those going to Llangorse in a months time, I'll leave you with this picture to inspire you:

DSCF0482.jpg

Edited by Mark Crame

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those going to Llangorse in a months time, I'll leave you with this picture to inspire you:

DSCF0482.jpg

certainly did inspire Mark, hope we have as good a time as you obviously did :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

certainly did inspire Mark, hope we have as good a time as you obviously did :thumbs:

Well done Mark nice pics.

We made a "lure Retriever" from paracord a small clip and some short lengths of light chain. cut 4 lengths of chain about 4 inches long and attach them to the clip. Tie the clip to the paracord and if a lure gets snagged, attach the retriever to your line by the clip and let the weight of the chain sink it down to the lure. Jig the retriever until it catches on a treble and haul up the lure (hopefully). :)

OC PROWLER 13 ANGLER

A bad day's fishing is a good day's Yakking!

Thanks guys. Very much recommended. Forget to say that yesterday I saw some kingfishers while I was out too. Ha, everyone keeps saying “I’ve never seen that before” and so on when I’m out. They’re amazed at anything so bizarre as a guy trolling pike from a yak! I think it may catch on though…..

Enjoyed myself so much yesterday that I decided to go again today, this time on the local broad which I haven’t fished properly before. So, I loaded up the yak and off I went.

Trolled one edge and then crossed the ain basin to head for where I saw a mid-twenty come out last week when I was on the bank. Didn’t have any luck, so started off on a circuit.

At which point I eard a screech as a 2.5lb’er took a Rapala Magnum CB9.

DSCF0483.jpg

DSCF0484.jpg

Well, that was fun and 20 minutes later, after a dropped run:

DSCF0489.jpg

DSCF0490.jpg

DSCF0488.jpg

another Jack, of a pound, took the same lure. Note the size from my hand:

DSCF0494.jpg

Well, I carried on up and got to the top of the broad, where it heads off into a river. Passing a boat with a couple of blokes in I enquired as to whether they had any luck – none. 5 minutes later (half an hour after my last fish) they watched me carried backwards downstream (by the wind) as I’d laid down my paddle. They could clearly see:

DSCF0496.jpg

Yep, a 5lb’er that had really thumped away on the end after taking the same CB9 and leaving the reel screaming. Netted and released in a minute or so.

DSCF0497.jpg

The next 45 minutes saw nothing but a dropped run that felt like another good fish. Passing through the area again (after chatting to another guy in another boat) Guess what? Yep, a screech and:

DSCF0499.jpg

DSCF0500.jpg

This was on the Rapala Magnum CB11, the redhead I’d caught on yesterday. Another angler was nearby and I asked him to take a snap:

DSCF0501.jpg

I then kissed old Esox and, not having any sandwiches with me, nearly gave way to temptation:

DSCF0503.jpg

Passing back over that spot, you’ll never guess what happened? Yep!

DSCF0504.jpg

DSCF0505.jpg

2.5lb of pike took off again, on the CB9, but I was ready and:

DSCF0506.jpg

DSCF0510.jpg

Then off he went.

So, it was time to head home. Of course, you have to leave the lures out in case of this happening on the CB13!!!:

DSCF0512.jpg

DSCF0511.jpg

6 pike in 2.5 hours – that is my best days piking, and was brilliant!

I wanna come to Llangorse!!!

Outstanding report Mark, really got my juices flowing for Llangorse. Off on a Pike handling course on Sunday afternoon, run by my local Angling Society free of charge, they bring along some pike in a tank to ensure that everyone gets to handle one correctly. They expect you to take along your fishing tackle to ensure that you are properly equipped, not sure what they will make of my fly tackle and Prowler 13 :D

If you have any more shots, would love them for AnglersAfloat's Freshwater section :)

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Those are good pictures,gives us a bit of incentive to get out and give them a go. Keep them coming. :thumbs:

I hope to get out for the Pike this winter up here in Scotland. There are one or two good lochs that hold some biggies. So far I have only had Jacks over the side of the Yak but there's plenty time. It's a good fill in for the winter months when the Sea fishing tails off a bit.

Neil.

Edited by Neil

Outstanding report Mark, really got my juices flowing for Llangorse. Off on a Pike handling course on Sunday afternoon, run by my local Angling Society free of charge, they bring along some pike in a tank to ensure that everyone gets to handle one correctly. They expect you to take along your fishing tackle to ensure that you are properly equipped, not sure what they will make of my fly tackle and Prowler 13 :D

If you have any more shots, would love them for AnglersAfloat's Freshwater section :)

SM :)

Those poor captive pike!!! Yeah, think they'll be stunned seeing the Prowler! Seems to me that I am the only person in history to fish from a kayak in this area. People keep talking to me.

Lots of people fish for pike on the fly - just make sure you use a wire trace, they do bite off other stuff.

Feel free to use those pics on the site - right click and save them in case I take them off photobucket one day. I'll have some more up soon I hope - maybe even tomorrow depending on how the day progresses. There a few more somewhere on here, again, help youself. i might even do an article for a magazine if I take my proper cameras out!!

TIPS FROM THIS WEEK.

For trolling, go nice and steady and at walking pace. Stick a fair bit of line out and don't set the drag really light or really tight. Needs to be enough to let a fish run with it rather than have it's jaw ripped off, but not so loose as to overwind or let it shake free. I used multipliers (Shimano TR100G's) and had the ratchet on so I could hear a run - except even when they hooked up and didn't screech I was aware that something was going on - that's the advantage of braid and a kayak, I felt everything.

While trawling lures, check the rod tip is vibrating. If it is smooth, it is snagged. That's on my set up - check with yours when you start off. Use a lure that is visible, ie not too small, and that will tow well. One of my best lures doesn't troll at all, and the Storm rubber lures don't seem as deadly as they are when cast.

GET AN UNHOOKING MAT. A no-brainer. A landing net with a short (telescoping) handle is a boon. if the hooks snag in the net, cut them. I had to yesterday with one and now have a double hook on one lure isntead of a treble. Took seconds.

All you need for trolling is the rod/reel, decent line with a wire trace (18") and a good lure. Rapala Magnums work brilliantly and can be used for tuna (mine were in the 'old days'). Have a selection ready to find what's turning the fish on. Now to the other gear needed. Net and mat of course. Needle nose pliers to take hooks out (luring gets mouth hook-ups almost exclusively) snips,wire cutters (somehing to cut through hooks), maqybe some scissors to trim line/cut the net etc and that's about it. Take scales and a camera as well of course, should you like to know/remember/post (hehe).