Fishing News

Leon Roskilly

Guest jay_con

The Inability of the Eu to do anything worthwhile at the December get togethers has astounded me for years. I see no reason why this coming year should be any different. I think the commercials will be safe for many years yet - or at least untill they have managed to empty the sea.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The meetings are being moved forward to the spring. Game plan will still be destroy the UK fleet (going very well) and replace with the real big boys of commercial fishing, who are being driven from their normal destruction off Africa and Canada. Best bit is we scrap our boats and fund all this :(

Labour gave away Rockall, which is now being trashed, nought is getting done by the EU about the carnage on our continental slope, and yet I am supposed to understand that the goverments charter for anglers will make things better?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

The fate of the Rockall stocks will not affect your fishing one bit and will hardly register in our media. Don't worry yourself about it

The last Scots boats that used to fish out there have been decommissioned, therefore no one to demand our navy go take a look at whats going on. It no longer exists.

Guest jay_con

But what is your point?

I also think the resources afforded to our Navey are well and truely stretched within our own waters. Yes id love to see anyone doing wrong be pulled into line. But if there aint the resources to do it id rather see that frigot off the coast of yorkshire, where I know it is much required.

My point is that it only matters if there is someone there for it to matter to. Great if we can somehow get the EU to write in stone that we control 12 miles around our coast forever, but that is not the case. Even if it were, what happens when we have no say or control, over what fishing goes on beyond that line.

The navy point is a good one. Our own environment and wealth is being trashed yet our navy is all over the world ?! Would any other nation, that took its fish stocks and potential oil wealth, seriously do that?

Guest jay_con

So you think the navey should be here to stop the large number of fishermen who break the law everytime they put to sea from doing so?

A system that was based on reality would not have large numbers of fishermen breaking the law. Enforcement for those that still would is very much needed.

When are you going to get it? There is no real enforcement because the goverment considers fish stocks to be way down in the list of priorities; its short term vote winning stuff the whole time - the anglers charter is just the latest.

Bottom line is that going to war in Iraq, against the wishes of most of the EU, or whatever the issue of the day, means horsetrading and therefore our low priority fish stocks lose every time.

They are expendable