Fishing News

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

Times are hard but they will survive, they always do, record catches off those pipelines cant be doing the bank balance much harm (its all been said in here).

They just change thier practices to stay alive. Crabs and lobsters for a few month, prawning for a few month, a few visits up to Norway, a few month on the whitings. Then the herring spawns and its mass slaughter of the cod for a month or 2. For about 2 months sept and oct you can watch the boats returning to port- laying low in the water with big flocks of birds following close behind.

They can no longer rely on cod from local waters for 12 months of the year but they got it all planned out. Diversification thats the name of the game.

I dont see any of them going under do you? It was only last week I heared the talk of "new boats".

New boats one week bankrupcy the next???? That dont add up?

@winter@, @spring@, @summer@ or @Autumn@ , your take on commercial fishing remains as "interesting" as ever :D

Can you tell me what design these amazing boats are, that are big enough to fish way out in the Norwegain sector, and yet are also able make a living prawn trawling, or even fishing creels , close inshore? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Instead of watching the gulls and boats from afar, and guessing what they may be carrying, why not actually go down to the harbour and see what they are landing ? Who knows you might even find someone that can point out the difference between a 65ft trawler and a 30ft creel boat for you :P

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Jaffa i think spring knows the difference between a creel boat and a trawler ,if he doesnt i will show my arse in woollys window.no joking apart there is 1 whitbt boat which is doing very well fishing of norway it is under 60ft, not really the vessel to be working up there but as things are at present they are being forced to go working up there the really isnt big enough as the seas can be big up there, they are strugling to make it pay down here nothing what so ever to do with quotas price of diesel has rocketed as i know just got my fuel bill this morning but they are simply not getting the fish, the local fleet down here have it good for years a very good fishing for cod right on there door step, but nothing lasts for ever but unfortunatley they thought it would .

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest jay_con

Design ???? I really dont know nor care. I can tell you where they were built if you wish, but what relevance this has I dont know????.

What I have said is true, these boats do now change the species they hunt across the year (they couldn't survive if they didnt), They do venture as far as Norway(and from past reports in the local paper I believe they do pretty well there), and they do catch prawns from time to time and when the Herring spawns in Autumn they fish for cod and for a couple of months do very well indeed .

Why you choose to disbelieve this I really dont know ???????????. You seem obsessed with me venturing down to the fish key ??? I dont need to I have some very reliable sources close at hand. If you really wanted to know what species are landed, what amount and when I'm pretty sure there are ways to find out. You could start with the local council ? or Harbour masters office.

Im sure @spring@ does know the difference :) Suits him to lump all commercials in together at times though :D

Under 60ft and off Norway!!? That's taking some huge risks. They can't get away with that for long surely; sooner or later they will find themselves in deep trouble :( Hardly sounds like the actions of people "coining it in" to huge bank accounts - more like pure desperation.

Same story with the local fleet here Big Cod. There used to be a thriving fleet able to fish ground so close they could land every day or so. Mostly seine netters after haddock. Its nearly all gone now and the whole thing was predictable 20 years ago :( If the managers had listened to the wise heads among the commercials (and there were plenty of them) it all could have been avoided.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest jay_con
Originally posted by @SPRING@:

[QB]

"They can no longer rely on cod from local waters for 12 months of the year but they got it all planned out. Diversification thats the name of the game."

Does the word local not give the game away?

The boats that dont go to Norway have other ways of maintaining an income.