Portland Conger

phooey

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go steady there SpeciMan, i read somewhere that its illegal to lift a lobster pot at night & remember the minimum size, 87mm down that big bit on its back, only 2 lobsters allowed to be taken too.

Received a copy of the bye-laws for the Southern Sea Fisheries District today as well as a minimum size guide. As you mention 87mm down the lobsters back. The no lifting pots at night does not apply to this area. Also I can't see anywhere in the byelaws where it mentions only 2 lobsters to be taken :unsure: (it does mention that it is an offence to board or land a lobster which has a notch cut in its tail or which has a mutilated tail).

In my area Edible crabs need to be 140mm/5.5 inches across the carapace.

I haven't been prawning in Poole Harbour but didn't realise there was a close season for prawns which runs from 1st Jan to 31st July. Also didn't realise that DEFRA are running a consultation with businesses on a proposed increase of lobster landing size to 90mm.

The Southern Wales District is quite different:

4(a)Except that this byelaw does not apply to any person not being the holder of a permit using a boat

to:

(i) Fish a maximum of 5 pots and/or a net or nets the aggregated length of which does not exceed

100 metres measured along the headline. Each pot or net end must be marked by a single yellow

surface marker buoy.

(ii) Fish for, take or remove from any part of the fishery within the South Wales Sea Fisheries

Committee District on any calendar day, up to but not exceeding a combination of:-

a) One lobster (Homarus gammams) or one crawfish (Palinurus elephas) per person not

exceeding a total of eight shellfish of Class 1 List A species per boat.

and B) 8 kilos per person of Class 1 list B species,

and c) 8 kilos per person of Class 2 species,

and d) all other species of seafish not listed above.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow