Fly fishing? For Sharks!!!!!

Newt

Just read a short piece about an angler named Brendan Mason (on charter with Capt. Dave Trimble out of San Diego, CA) hooked into an 11ft long 600lb Mako shark.

He was targeting sharks and was using a 16wt rod /w 30lb class tippet and a wire leader.

The fish came to a chum slick and the angler spent 45 minutes casting to the shark who bit the prop at one point and ramned the boat several times. Finally got a bite and 40 minutes later, landed and then released the fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt, I've been reading about this, seemingly not as unusual as it seems,....I have a few angling books (mainly U.S) which have sections on it....

BUT, To be honest, they are Californians !!!! :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I know others are doing it but I think the current IGFA record is under 150 lbs so if this catch qualifies, he will have shattered it by a huge margin at 600 lbs.

I am amazed that a fly rod would allow an angler to deal with a fish that size and to land it in such a comparatively short time.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, Found this on another forum mate...just for you !!!!! :D:D In the second one, the shark keeps missing the fly....god that would be frustrating.....Enjoy !! :sun:

http://www.flyfishing-austria.at/biggamefl..._fly_videos.htm

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Newt, he wont qualify for an IGFA record if he was using 30lb tippet, the maximum allowed and heaviest category for saltwater fly is 20lb. Cracking fish all the same, must be the heaviest of any species ltaken on fly

Some of the big 16 & 18 weight fly rods can handle some serious fish with the right reel and drag system and anti reverse handles. Just had a look through the IGFA world record book:-

Amberjack 103lb 12oz Pacific halibut 111 lb Black marlin 222lb 10oz Blue marlin 108lb

Striped marlin 230 lb White marlin 120 lb Pacific sailfish 136lb (on 12 test) Blue shark 184lb (on 12#)

Hammerhead shark 353 lb (on 16#) Record mako on 20# is only 149lb (only????) Porbeagle 136 lb

Tiger shark 220 lb Whaler shark 256lb 8oz Tarpon 202 lb Bluefin tuna 196 lb 9oz :):)

• 4 weeks later...

I've certainly had great fun fly fishing for Sharks - Blacktips and Lemons - off the Marquesas, 29 miles out from Key West (Florida). It's 'skinny water' sight fishing but you do need to a butterfly-ed Barracuda over the side to attract them in. And the Blacktips often jump.

But for sheer excitement have a look at the video footage of Spinner Sharks off West Palm Beach, Florida. Lessons? Make sure you've got a smooooth drag and lots of backing. And don't fish with poppers! (Unfortunately they're BIG files so during busy periods will, even with a broadband connection, take some minutes to load. Worth the wait though.)

Now to Newt's Mako. Um.....I think I'd certainly be very reticent 'upsetting' a fish of that size particularly with a fly rod! They're probably the most awesome, unpredictable creatures in the sea. I've seen them jump 20' plus out of the water when hooked - much higher and totally unlike a Marlin or a Tarpon. They're rigid - they look just like a animated torpedo performing summersaults! That's of course apart from the teeth that are highly visible and 'gnashing' - angry SOBs.

Dave

Edited by PanamaJack

I've certainly had great fun fly fishing for Sharks - Blacktips and Lemons - off the Marquesas, 29 miles out from Key West (Florida). It's 'skinny water' sight fishing but you do need to a butterfly-ed Barracuda over the side to attract them in. And the Blacktips often jump.

But for sheer excitement have a look at the video footage of Spinner Sharks off West Palm Beach, Florida. Lessons? Make sure you've got a smooooth drag and lots of backing. And don't fish with poppers! (Unfortunately they're BIG files so during busy periods will, even with a broadband connection, take some minutes to load. Worth the wait though.)

Now to Newt's Mako. Um.....I think I'd certainly be very reticent 'upsetting' a fish of that size particularly with a fly rod! They're probably the most awesome, unpredictable creatures in the sea. I've seen them jump 20' plus out of the water when hooked - much higher and totally unlike a Marlin or a Tarpon. They're rigid - they look just like a animated torpedo performing summersaults! That's of course apart from the teeth that are highly visible and 'gnashing' - angry SOBs.

Dave

Good link PJ thats pretty damn exciting stuff. Puts the stockie Rainbow in his place somewhat :lol:

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.