Winter gear arrived today

GB

Snap Martin. Was dizzy all day yesterday in work, woke this morning feeling rough as a badgers rear end :yucky::yucky: . No work today need to recover properly for fishing the weekend ;)

that's what I like to see,a man that's got his priorities right :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Santa's just been and visited me yesterday as well. I had been trying to choose between a quality 2pce outfit which was going to cost £360 or a cheaper drysuit, but what I really wanted was a goretex drysuit. The only snag was they are typically £500 plus for yak gear .... and even the yachtie stuff is usually £400 plus :o

Then I found this...

marinestore.co.uk/page/mrst/PROD/mu...gn/MUSM1430RDM/

At £300 thats £100 cheaper than most places sell the MPX .... so I couldn't resist.

I was worried that it was old stock as its last years model code, but what I got sent was a brand spankers 2006 model that I had to wait a few days on as they got new stock in. Well its certainly a quality piece of kit, as I'd expect from Musto, the goretex is a heavy grade fabric, much more robust than my hillwalking stuff, and the cordura tough and in the right places. The leg pocket is a nice touch.

The fabric overlap with the seals is a bit less than I'd expected, but it is certainly enough to the job. I'd prefer a full cover over the zip, but I'm not complaining for the money. The zip is a bit bulky in the groin area when seated but its not uncomfortable, even with my PFD on, and it makes having a pee easier :)

However, I think wearing the bum bag I use for tackle wont be an option as it will tend to crush/fold the zip which is a no no.

I have no previous experience with drysuits so these comments may apply to all suits and not just the Musto.

All in all I'm dead chuffed with it and can't wait to get it wet :)

Edited by Elton

marinestore.co.uk/page/mrst/PROD/mu...gn/MUSM1430RDM/

the link don't work :(

I want to see what joys you have found

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Nice one Paul. I came across that suit somewhere online last month. Musto and gore-tex - has to be a great deal at that price :)

Any chance of some pics of this model?

(btw I like the windstopper balaclava - wear it on the motorbike too).

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

very nice I like the colour good price to :)

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Started off looking at the Typhoon.....sub £200.....then thought the crewsaver looked the dogs watsits at £265 ish......now i'm thinking about the Gul Ion at £299 ......if i don't get one soon, i hate to think what price i'll end up at ! :blink:

The Gul Ion is a 4 layer suit http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/product_inf...products_id=427

What do you think ?

Dave :)

Without seeing it first hand, that suit looks durable. However, the four layers (and colour if you go for that) may mean it could be too warm to wear during the summer months although you may have other clothing you would want to wear during that time anyway.

Problem we have is that its only recently that the nylon based suits have become truly breathable and there isn't enough feedback on them.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Started off looking at the Typhoon.....sub £200.....then thought the crewsaver looked the dogs watsits at £265 ish......now i'm thinking about the Gul Ion at £299 ......if i don't get one soon, i hate to think what price i'll end up at ! :blink:

The Gul Ion is a 4 layer suit http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/product_inf...products_id=427

What do you think ?

I've just got back from a visit to the Wetsuit Outlet factory in Shoeburyness. Here's a bung free review of what I found.

I felt the only way to make a decision on such an expensive item was to try on and compare everything they had. I'd already decided to go for one of the top of the range suits, as someone else on here said, you only spend that much once, so better to go the extra £60-90.

So that meant: The Crewsaver Hyperdry(£265) The Typhoon XTS Pro (£280) or the Gul Ion(£300). I had every intention of not choosing the Hyperdry because of the colour scheme, but I eventually had to concede it was in every respect the superior suit. It's a very well thought out bit of kit. There's virtually no difference in quality of materials between it and the Gul, exactly the same zip, reinforced seat/kneees etc. But the devil is in the details: the high collar on the HD is brilliant, you can sink down in it up to your eyes and it's a contiuous piece of material with an outer zip up collar, whereas the Gul is more of a flap that pull accross your throat and velcro; the fastening on the cuffs is superior to the Gul - velcro fastens underneath the wrist, towards you instead of over and away from you; there's more overlap on the trouser bottoms and again the velcro seems to fasten neater. On the internal braces the HD uses non-stretchy webbing going through the buckles(which is attached to elastic webbing at the back) and you pull up to tighten, making it a one handed operation, as opposed to the Gul which has only elastic webbing and you pull down to tighten, so all that happens is when you try and adjust it is you stretch the braces: I needed two hands to tighten them and thought the elastic would not last long as the buckle is pretty tight. The Gul does have a big pocket on the thigh which looks appealing when you're standing up, but sitting down is less practical - ever got in your car and realised you've left your keys in your trouser pocket? - a PFD will only add to the awkwardness. The HD has a much more sensible pocket on the arm, although it's a shame there isn't one on each arm. The Gul is a good suit, nice colour, but £35 dearer. The only thing I liked about the Typhoon XTS Pro was the colour scheme. The first thing I noticed was how the zip was all baggy and sticking out at the front. Very uncomfortable, especially under a PFD. Also the material seemed lighter and the reinforced areas were definitely of less durable material. Virtually no overlap on the latex boots, cuffs do up the wrong way, as with the Gul, and the collar was the least generous of the lot. I dismissed it almost immediately.

So, Power Rangers are GO! :thumbs:

Excellent review Paintfly, just the sort of thing you don't get reading the adverts....however it has only made me think i should go and have a look myself !

I prefer the look/ colour of the Gul...after all with a red/yellow kayak and an orange pfd i don't think i need any more bright colours when i go afloat :rolleyes: but otherwise the Crewsaver would get my vote .