Winter Fishing

Woz

I was fishing this weekend hoping to catch Grayling on a trotted maggot and chub on bread.

All I caught was out of season trout (which went back withoutleaving the water)!

The bream, the roach and the perch wern't interested at all.

As a newbie to coarse fishing what are the best baits and techniques for this time of year?

Thanks

W>

When the temperature drops many fish dont feed as hard.Others carry on like theres no tommorow! Grayling and Chub especially.

Best tips for the winter are to fish much lighter than in the summer.Use much smaller size hooks and lighter hook lengths to get bites and certainly cut back on the amount of feed you put in.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

When the temperature drops many fish dont feed as hard.Others carry on like theres no tommorow! Grayling and Chub especially.

Best tips for the winter are to fish much lighter than in the summer.Use much smaller size hooks and lighter hook lengths to get bites and certainly cut back on the amount of feed you put in.

Thanks Budgie,

I did try that though! LOL!

2lb hook length, maggots little but often, long trotting to avoid spooking.

Then switch to bread, a few handfulls of liquidised bread and a flake on the hook and bingo!

4lb-ish Brown trout.

I would normally be pleased!!!!!

W.

By "lighter" I mean a size 22 to 1lb bottom maximum.

Mind you that said somedays it just doesnt matter what your doing.It was also a big moon period over the weekend something that I believe spoils the fishing any way.

Mind you that said somedays it just doesnt matter what your doing.It was also a big moon period over the weekend something that I believe spoils the fishing any way.

I noticed the moon at the weekend, too. Big and full, and a clear sky (where I was anyway). It didn't help that Sat. and Sun. were also very bright days. Very warm on Sunday, and I would have expected fish to be feeding well, but the bright sun and clear water out them off until dusk - just in time for the fireworks to begin!

instead of maggots why not just put a big lob worm on the hook with no loose feed, This is something steve burke has suggested and it has worked for me in the past on my local river.

I'm with Peter M on this as I fish for chub in the winter with exactly the same big baits and hefty tackle (size 8 hooks, 6lb line) that I use in the summer, and I don't notice any fall off in catches. It's horses for courses though - the river I fish is small, quite snaggy, and doesn't see a lot of angling pressure.

The following is an extract from an article of mine entitled "Fishing Frozen Rivers":

".....Nearly every book or article I've ever read states that you should use very small baits in cold weather. Naturally, many readers follow this advice and the odd fish is caught. Eventually just about everyone is fishing identically, which means of course that nearly all the fish reported are caught on small baits, and so the myth is perpetuated! Let me assure you that, on most cold days, you'll definitely catch a whole lot more with bigger baits!...."

For the reason why I believe this is so and to see the entire article go to http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve05.htm

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Does Budgie or anyone else have any theories about why the full moon should be bad for fishing?

john clarke

Does Budgie or anyone else have any theories about why the full moon should be bad for fishing?

I really believe it does mess up some types of fishing John.ive wrote quite a lot in the past about how on a couple of waters Ive fished for big bream its been the kiss of death.

Ive looked into several different theories as to why and Ive listened to many others but quite honestly dont know why! Im sure many will not even agree that it does have an affect!

I base my veiws on many many days and nights fishing in both big moons and not.