Okuma Sheffield S1002 centrepin

Anderoo

I took a look at both the Aventa Pro & the Sheffield over the weekend & was having trouble deciding between them. I much preferred the more subdued looks of the Pro & the fact that it was £30 cheaper, but found that the Sheffield was slightly more free spinning.

I gave both the Sheffield & two different Pros, a very slight push to try & simulate the force of current pulling a float & the Sheffield span longer every time. Not a particularly scientific approach by me & I hope that at such a low spin speed, the “flywheel” effect did no come into play & the Sheffield did not spin longer because it has a heavier drum. So, for the sake of £30 extra, I decided to put up with the “bling” looks of the Sheffield for its (slightly) improved performance & I bought it.

Another factor in my decision was that the tackle shop had just put the price of the Sheffield up to £130, but let me have it at the old price of £120. The tackle shop concerned is a well known shop that does a lot of internet trade, so I would guess that the standard retail price for the Sheffield, excepting Ebay, will soon be £130.

I know Chavender mentioned that the Sheffield has slightly better bearings that the pro, but in the exploded diagram of both reels, the part number for the bearings is identical. I suspect that Okuma may have updated the internal workings of the Pro, as there have been a few external changes, with larger holes in the back of the drum (they are the same size as the Sheffield) & the addition wooden handles, instead of plastic ones.

John

I took a look at both the Aventa Pro & the Sheffield over the weekend & was having trouble deciding between them. I much preferred the more subdued looks of the Pro & the fact that it was £30 cheaper, but found that the Sheffield was slightly more free spinning.

I gave both the Sheffield & two different Pros, a very slight push to try & simulate the force of current pulling a float & the Sheffield span longer every time. Not a particularly scientific approach by me & I hope that at such a low spin speed, the “flywheel” effect did no come into play & the Sheffield did not spin longer because it has a heavier drum. So, for the sake of £30 extra, I decided to put up with the “bling” looks of the Sheffield for its (slightly) improved performance & I bought it.

Another factor in my decision was that the tackle shop had just put the price of the Sheffield up to £130, but let me have it at the old price of £120. The tackle shop concerned is a well known shop that does a lot of internet trade, so I would guess that the standard retail price for the Sheffield, excepting Ebay, will soon be £130.

I know Chavender mentioned that the Sheffield has slightly better bearings that the pro, but in the exploded diagram of both reels, the part number for the bearings is identical. I suspect that Okuma may have updated the internal workings of the Pro, as there have been a few external changes, with larger holes in the back of the drum (they are the same size as the Sheffield) & the addition wooden handles, instead of plastic ones.

John

I did the same thing in the end John. I wanted to want the Aventa Pro more but when it came to it I had to get the Sheffield, and I'm pleased with that decision. I wish I could actually fish with it though (I know we need the rain, but it's getting boring now...) :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Mmmm....got mine too...aren`t they luverlyyyyy...........the way they just spinzzzz n spinzzz.. mmm...

Anyway now,I am absolutely clueless as to how to use the bloody thing!!

DS

Edited by dogstick

They have gone up in price very recently. I got my Sheffield from Climax Tackle about a month ago for £99. :clap2: Very nice bit of kit. :D

{2008 Editor's Note - for cheap Okuma Centrepin reels, please click here}

Edited by Elton

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.