Bass Plugging

Paul Molyneux

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch out for SNATCHER!!! He is well into this type of fishing!!

Regards Reels, in my humble opinion IF you can get a SEA F/S for under £50 buy it!! Or buy an ordinary F/s and wash it after each use!! If they are any good I have some Mitchell 300's heer which are brand new!! And I would VERY highly rate the GREYS spinning rods for such as you envisage!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

The new Abu Cardinal range is my choice of reel!!

Which beach are you near, I grew up in Honiton, East Devon and cut my teeth along the whole South Devon coast plugging for BASS

I live near the mouth of the River Yealm at a place called Wembury.

Mothecombe, Thurlestone and Bigbury are all within short distance.

This is the ideal combo :)

Deadlycombination.jpg

Try a Yozuri Laile Magnet as in the photo. Pricey but effective. With 15lb mono you should not lose one - unless snapped by a bass :sun:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

This is the ideal combo :)

Deadlycombination.jpg

Try a Yozuri Laile Magnet as in the photo. Pricey but effective. With 15lb mono you should not lose one - unless snapped by a bass :sun:

Thanks Snatcher

I can see that the rod is a Greys. What is the reel?

I have just ordered three of the lures you have mentioned.

Cheers

Paul

Steve

Do you use the stockingfoot or booted type breathable waders?

regards

Paul

Hi Paul

I use the stockingfoot version, with Simms guide boots, but Vision's own boots are also very good.

I now only use braid for all my fishing (except fly fishing and I use braid as backing here too).

Having tried most of the makes (many are the same with different labels) I favour either Berkely Fire line or Dynon MCT - both in 30lb bs. Both of these actually test out at higher breaking strains, but due to the fineness of the braid, I find 30lb easier to use. 12 or 15lb bs is too fine!

I can also use the 30lb when fishing overseas, without having to change over from lighter line, which makes it more economic in the long run.

If I may plug (pun intended) Mike Ladle's website, you'll find his saltwater diary section an accumulation of nearly five years of weekly entries - many of which cover plugging over shallow ground. He also has a section on theories and discoveries (I think called Tack-tics) which must rate as one of the most comprehensive information sources on plugging, spinning and fish behaviour of any site.

You don't need to join or pay a fee - just check out www.mikeladle.com and click on the section headings on the left-hand side of the home page.

You could also check out the BASS website at www.ukbass.com where there are some hints and tips in the fishing bits section on a beginners guide to spinning for bass and once you pop you can't stop on using surface lures.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by steve pitts

Hi Paul

I use the stockingfoot version, with Simms guide boots, but Vision's own boots are also very good.

I now only use braid for all my fishing (except fly fishing and I use braid as backing here too).

Having tried most of the makes (many are the same with different labels) I favour either Berkely Fire line or Dynon MCT - both in 30lb bs. Both of these actually test out at higher breaking strains, but due to the fineness of the braid, I find 30lb easier to use. 12 or 15lb bs is too fine!

I can also use the 30lb when fishing overseas, without having to change over from lighter line, which makes it more economic in the long run.

If I may plug (pun intended) Mike Ladle's website, you'll find his saltwater diary section an accumulation of nearly five years of weekly entries - many of which cover plugging over shallow ground. He also has a section on theories and discoveries (I think called Tack-tics) which must rate as one of the most comprehensive information sources on plugging, spinning and fish behaviour of any site.

You don't need to join or pay a fee - just check out www.mikeladle.com and click on the section headings on the left-hand side of the home page.

You could also check out the BASS website at www.ukbass.com where there are some hints and tips in the fishing bits section on a beginners guide to spinning for bass and once you pop you can't stop on using surface lures.

Cheers

Steve

Steve

Thanks again for the information.

I know this sounds a bit strange and I'm not having a laugh. How do you use the boots with the stockingfoot waders? I was looking at the bootfoot waders.

I am starting to get my equipment. I will also support my local dealer in Plymouth who has been a great help. They have always given good advice and I have bought from them over the years.

I will take your advice and look at the ML site. I have already looked at the UKBass site.

Still curious about these stockingfoot waders though!

Hope to hear from you soon.

regards

Paul

Hi Paul

Take a 28 grm toby with you they cast well and catch well, especially at this time of year when the sprats are in. I fish Lyme Charmouth, but not a million milea away!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Hi Paul

Take a 28 grm toby with you they cast well and catch well, especially at this time of year when the sprats are in. I fish Lyme Charmouth, but not a million milea away!

Dan

Thanks Dan!

All this info is useful! I did spin back in the late seventies and early eighties and have used the toby.

My favourite lure of the day was a Krill. I had good results with this lure. At that time I had a glass spinning rod and an Abu Cardinal reel. The rod snapped and I never got back into it.

I am looking forward though to plugging. It is totally new to me!

Thanks again for your input.

The anglers on this site have been superb and very helpful in particular Steve Pitts. They have made me very welcome!