Bass Plugging

Paul Molyneux

Hi Paul, I live in Ivybridge and have often thought of fishing at Wembury but one of the ladies at the cafe there told me the fishing was crap. From your posts it seems she was er! shall we say mistaken.

If you intend to get into Bass fishing and plugging you could do worse than join B.A.S.S. Steve Pitts is one of the leading lights of the society (Don't tell him I said that). They also have a good website/forum but only B.A.S.S. members can access the forum.

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody hell Snatcher! Look at the state of the trebles on that slider!

Paul,

Stocking foot waders have a neoprene 'bootee' instead of a bootfoot. You then have a seperate pair of boots to go over these. To be honest, in most situations you can get away with a cheap pair of trainers instead of wading boots, but I like to have the extra support of boots when fishing over rocks. They come with a variety of soles. Mine have felt soles to which I have added metal studs which provide me with plenty of grip. Wader-wise my own preference is for Orvis breathables as these come with a lifetime no-quibble guarantee. When they leak I just exchange them for a new pair.

Hi Paul, I live in Ivybridge and have often thought of fishing at Wembury but one of the ladies at the cafe there told me the fishing was crap. From your posts it seems she was er! shall we say mistaken.

If you intend to get into Bass fishing and plugging you could do worse than join B.A.S.S. Steve Pitts is one of the leading lights of the society (Don't tell him I said that). They also have a good website/forum but only B.A.S.S. members can access the forum.

I have had Smalleyed Ray to 13lb 3 1/2ozs, Bass to 8lb 4ozs and conger to 26lbs all from exactly the same mark in Wembury so I would not totally agree with her.

One of my old fishing buddies Roger Beer lives in Ivybridge he used to be a member of the Ivybridge club and held both the British shore records for both Conger and Smalleyed. I was Plymouth Sea Anglers myself and we were both active members of the Plymouth Specimen Group. Do you know him?

Steve has been very helpful and I had a hunch that he was very knowledgeable. Based on some of his advice, I have done the following.

I have now bought The Ed Schliffke Rockhopper Plugger and the Mike Ladle Surespin 11. I have chosen a Shimano Twinpower 4000 and Diawa Laguna 4000. Gone for Dynon MCT 24.3lbs and for waders, Ocean Chest Waders with studded boots as I think they are likely to be hard wearing. Not breathable but I think they will do the job.

I am just waiting for them to be delivered.

Now I have done the homework and spent a small fortune, I got to get down to the gritty bit. Putting in the hours to catch some fish.

Hope you found the info about Wembury useful, I have fished it for 30 years.

Bloody hell Snatcher! Look at the state of the trebles on that slider!

Paul,

Stocking foot waders have a neoprene 'bootee' instead of a bootfoot. You then have a seperate pair of boots to go over these. To be honest, in most situations you can get away with a cheap pair of trainers instead of wading boots, but I like to have the extra support of boots when fishing over rocks. They come with a variety of soles. Mine have felt soles to which I have added metal studs which provide me with plenty of grip. Wader-wise my own preference is for Orvis breathables as these come with a lifetime no-quibble guarantee. When they leak I just exchange them for a new pair.

Thanks MJB

You have sloved the mystery of the stockingfoot waders.

I have gone for Ocean Waders with studded boots and have bought some rods and reels. All I need to do now is to buy rods and reels for my two sons, I will get these at my local dealer. I think I'm sorted. Now comes the hard part!

Regards

Paul

Have you considered the Mike Ladle sure spin? Read nothing but good things about them, going to bag myself one in the spring.

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Spinning.html

Scott

I've got the 11ft. version and it's a great bit of kit. :thumbs:

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

I've got the 11ft. version and it's a great bit of kit. :thumbs:

Del

Bought one yesterday with a Diawa Laguna 4000 reel also bought a Shimano Twinpower 4000 and waders, braid and some lures.

Should all be arriving today.

I have also bought the Fladen Ed Schliffke Rockhopper Plugger from a different dealer. That should be dispatched today. I hope this kit will do the job.

thanks

Paul