Beach rods

Cranfield

Having decided to resurrect my interest in beach fishing, I have decided that my two old Masterline Mastercasters, are beyond their sell by date.

I,ve had a look around a couple of tackle shops, but there is not much of a selection.

(Have you noticed that if you are more than 5 miles from the sea, sea fishing doesn,t exist in some tackle shops).

Therefore, I will buy online.

I intend to use fixed spool reels (which I have).

With this in mind, I am looking for some recommendations.

I don,t want tournament specifications (or money),just decent 4-6 oz rods, but there seem to be lots in the £40-£65 range.

Any brand name suggestions, please.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I'm only an occasional beach angler with no great knowledge of beachcasters, but having read a decent review in Sea Angler I bought a Shakespeare Odessa when they were new on the market. Seems to me to be a good rod for the minimum outlay, but as I say, I have no great knowledge of beachcasters.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

I'm sure you will only get someone telling you that 'you get what you pay for', but there seems to be a lot to choose from in the tackle shops in Weymouth.

www.deepsea.co.uk/shops/weymouth_an...entre/index.htm

http://www.reelsanddeals.com

Get one a little bit stiffer than you are talking about, if I were you.

Choose a rod with plenty of rings near the tip.

You will want a large butt ring for a fixed spool reel.

www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Veals_Cata...e_Shore_85.html

www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/r...ompson_118.html

http://www.banksidefishing.co.uk/

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Would have to agree with Anthony. I have an Odessa multiplier version and I use it as my workhorse for all sorts of shore fishing. Cheap but well made with a nice action for the average casting angler. There are plenty of options out there but I recommended this rod before on AN and the poster wasn't disappointed, as far as I remember he was delighted with it.

Neil.

Thanks for the comments.

Jim, I know you tend to get what you pay for, but I will only be using them 20 odd days a year.

The Odessa sounds like a good bet and I will buy two of those with confidence. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Don't think you'll be disapointed. Shop around though for the best price, got mine for £36 from Jims Tackle, think they still advertise in SeaAngler.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Jim Roper:

You will want a large butt ring ...

6 months in Barlinnie should do the trick

[ 01. August 2003, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The odessa is awesome value for money. Better than many twice the price. I've had wrangle with my mates and the distance is quite a surprise. Not bad quality finish either, knocks the pants of other rods in the price bracket.

For another £20 there is the Fladen Warbirds, and again for the money a real surprise.

Thinlips are imminent :-) Believe or not !!