French Pair Trawlers & the Palegic Fleet

BASS - NFSA - SACN

Now you have your new Bass MLS size in England, why dont you now concentrate on stopping the the French pair trawlers and the Palegic fleet who target the breeding Bass shoals in the western English Channel?????????????? These are the people who do the most damage to the Bass stocks.

I await your replies.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first reply would be to ask if you would be kind enough to provide us a bit of information about yourself.

I think you are more likely to get reasonable replies if the responders don't simply see rather terse posts from a new posting ID.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Been there, done that.

See:

http://ukbass.com/2005/11/basscbe-lobby-eu.html

http://ukbass.com/2005/11/very-successful-meeting.html

http://ukbass.com/2005/10/french-bass-concerns-grow.html

BASS invited the catching sector to join with them through a letter in Fishing News.

Guess how many responded?

'The French will take all the bass anyway' is probably too valuable an argument to lose, even though it is spurios as evidenced by CEFAS evidence showing that only around 10% of bass caught that are tagged in UK waters end up in the non UK catch, and showing that English bass are no longer migrating down to the South-West to spawn in any great numbers.

In any case, those bass caught in the spawning fishery by the pair trawlers are all well over the 40cm mls (they would be wouldn't they - they are fish that have grown big enough to spawn, ie mostly well over 45cm!)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

By the way, don't blame anglers for an increase of bass mls to 40cm.

What we were asking for was an increase that ensured every fish that is legally taken has had the opportunity to spawn at least once, which means an mls of 45cm.

An extra 4cm does nothing in the way of producing a noticeably bigger fish, and it doesn't matter an iota if a fish is taken at 36cm or 40cm.

If it hasn't spawned it hasn't spawned!!

Opposition to a meaningful increase has meant that commercial fishermen get all of the pain, and nobody gets any benefit!!

That isn't what was being asked for at all.

Blame those that convinced BB that a smaller increase would be better and left everyone with nothing of any worth!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Been there, done that.

See:

http://ukbass.com/2005/11/basscbe-lobby-eu.html

http://ukbass.com/2005/11/very-successful-meeting.html

http://ukbass.com/2005/10/french-bass-concerns-grow.html

BASS invited the catching sector to join with them through a letter in Fishing News.

Guess how many responded?

'The French will take all the bass anyway' is probably too valuable an argument to lose, even though it is spurios as evidenced by CEFAS evidence showing that only around 10% of bass caught that are tagged in UK waters end up in the non UK catch, and showing that English bass are no longer migrating down to the South-West to spawn in any great numbers.

In any case, those bass caught in the spawning fishery by the pair trawlers are all well over the 40cm mls (they would be wouldn't they - they are fish that have grown big enough to spawn, ie mostly well over 45cm!)

Hello Leon

They did not respond because they new it was a lost cause, plus there is no way they would except or entertain 45 cm, perhaps if BASS had not included the mls and mesh increase there would have been a better response.

You always wheel out that out dated inaccurate evidence, we know different. Plus I got some information just last week, where CEFAS tagged 20 bass from the Channel Isles, three of them turned up off the Suffolk coast, one in the river at Southwould, they were saying how fantastic a result it was to get 3 returns from just 20 tags.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Leon

They did not respond because they new it was a lost cause, plus there is no way they would except or entertain 45 cm, perhaps if BASS had not included the mls and mesh increase there would have been a better response.

You always wheel out that out dated inaccurate evidence, we know different. Plus I got some information just last week, where CEFAS tagged 20 bass from the Channel Isles, three of them turned up off the Suffolk coast, one in the river at Southwould, they were saying how fantastic a result it was to get 3 returns from just 20 tags.

Can you tell me where i can find this information you just mentioned please Wurzel? any online links? Where in the CI were they tagged?

Can you tell me where i can find this information you just mentioned please Wurzel? any online links? Where in the CI were they tagged?

Hello Puffin

I don't know, I was told by a mate who had the same team on board his boat tagging bass in the Thames estuary last week.

If you rung CEFAS and asked for the Bass tagging team, they are normally happy to speak to you, the contact no is on thier webb site.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Puffin

I don't know, I was told by a mate who had the same team on board his boat tagging bass in the Thames estuary last week.

If you rung CEFAS and asked for the Bass tagging team, they are normally happy to speak to you, the contact no is on thier webb site.

I believe that they came from the Blue Blondel (BB) fishery in Guernsey.

Recently large shoals of large bass were found shoaling up there and are being hammered.

Huge catches are being taken by rod and line fishermen (the area isn't suitable for netting/trawling).

There are fears that the fishery will soon be diminished and a tagging operation was put in place to find out where these fish come from.

see: http://www.fishing-guernsey.co.uk/forum/fo...pics.asp?FID=22 (need to register)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

I believe that they came from the Blue Blondel (BB) fishery in Guernsey.

Recently large shoals of large bass were found shoaling up there and are being hammered.

Huge catches are being taken by rod and line fishermen (the area isn't suitable for netting/trawling).

There are fears that the fishery will soon be diminished and a tagging operation was put in place to find out where these fish come from.

see: http://www.fishing-guernsey.co.uk/forum/fo...pics.asp?FID=22 (need to register)

According to Guernsey Sea Fisheries annual report for 2006 I can't see any record of Boue Blondel fish as far away as Suffolk. Nearest ones I can see were caught in the Straits of Dover. These were fish tagged by the Guernsey Sea Fisheries officers.

http://www.gov.gg/ccm/commerce-and-employm...ical-reports.en Click on report 2006.

FWIW

I understood that perhaps two hundred bass were tagged on the BB? To my knowledge no other bass have been tagged in the CI for several years. 3 returns from 20 indicates some significant level of fishing mortality does is not? Perhaps we are taking about data storage archival tags here then? I've had conventionally tagged "Jersey" summer fish returned from the same reef on which they were released, just days later; a fish that travelled over 1200km in just under two months & another taken by a Scottish pair team operating S of the Eddystone Light. My point?

Until CEFAS put all the tagging data they have accumulated (with significant public assistance & goodwill) into the public arena, we are all forced to speculate about what might/might not be revealed by the results. Which is not helpful IMHO. Why would they be so quiet, one wonders?

"I read it in the Fishing News so it must be true" & "don't confuse me with facts I've made up my mind" are two of the better escape lines I've heard trotted out by opposers of an increased MLS, amongst other things.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" Oscar Wilde

AJS