French Pair Trawlers & the Palegic Fleet

Mr wurzel, would you care to outline in your honest opinion what proposals do you think are fantasy and what you may think is obtainable for the rsa?????????????????????????

Hello Stavey

No need to be nice, it don't suit you and I'll start to worry about your state of mind.

It's difficult for me to make a list that is not biased to me , my methods and my area.

I think 40 cm for bass was always obtainable , several areas already have the 100mm minimum mesh size. It would be much better if it was EU wide.

45 cm to much and 55 pure fantasy.

The golden mile is not obtainable and not necessary, instead negotiate selected areas that are important or popular to RSA.

I know some things are perhaps not on the RSA reps agenda but we constantly hear of anglers calling for a ban on pair trawling, a total ban on gill nets, a ban on inshore trawling, Leon says" the Prime Minister Strategy Unit's recommendation that bass should be managed wholly as a recreational species". but I'm sure I heard it from BASS first.

I constantly hear on this forum that anglers won't accept licences unless there are more restrictions on commercial fishermen, as if we have not got enough already.

None of the above is based on any clear fact, just anglers perceptions.

Personally I would rather see a rise in the MLS for several species including cod, in return for less quota and other restrictions, to work with both in some cases is not possible, this makes me unpopular with some of my colleagues, who are just fighting (and getting nowhere) for more quota. I am sure things will gradually move in that direction.

Hello Leon

Perhaps that was RSA's biggest error, trying to accommodate the needs of the catching sector rather than going for broke in it's own interest.

With out consulting the catching sector.

Unfortunately the commercial reaction was on the lines of '"We don't mind you taking some of the left over crumbs from the table, but you will not get a slice of our cake

But it is being proved that you already get a decent slice of our cake( FN page 5)

The catching sector reps that I know seemed to be genuinely shocked when Bradshaw announced the bass mls increase, now they are determined to slap down this upstart RSA.

The main beef is that it only applies to UK fisherman. If Bradshaw had announced he was taking the proposals to Brussels to lobby the EU, he would have had a better response.

But they seem to be miscalculating

I doubt that, more like the other way round.

At that point we can both start to make real progress, working together to ensure a healthy and productive marine environment and a combined lobby that is strong and united, capable of developing the full potential of both sectors for the good of all.

You really need to get out fishing more, you are beginning to sound just like a politician.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Wurzel

Could you please give us all your take, on the current bass, cod situation and how you would move forward with regards to saving something for the future generations, perhaps give us your ideas on increasing the worth of the fish stocks, size maybee. Please do not say ban all rsa's or change of goverment, what do you consider the way forward realisticlly.

Regards barry

Hello Barry

You could try and refrigerate the north sea, that’s about the only thing that will do anything noticeable for cod,

would not do much for bass though, I don't think future generations will be short of fish of some sort.

For now.

I would agree to a increase for cod to about 45 cm and some incentives for fishermen to eliminate discards.

Hello Stavey

No need to be nice, it don't suit you and I'll start to worry about your state of mind.

It's difficult for me to make a list that is not biased to me , my methods and my area.

I think 40 cm for bass was always obtainable , several areas already have the 100mm minimum mesh size. It would be much better if it was EU wide.

45 cm to much and 55 pure fantasy.

The golden mile is not obtainable and not necessary, instead negotiate selected areas that are important or popular to RSA.

I know some things are perhaps not on the RSA reps agenda but we constantly hear of anglers calling for a ban on pair trawling, a total ban on gill nets, a ban on inshore trawling, Leon says" the Prime Minister Strategy Unit's recommendation that bass should be managed wholly as a recreational species". but I'm sure I heard it from BASS first.

I constantly hear on this forum that anglers won't accept licences unless there are more restrictions on commercial fishermen, as if we have not got enough already.

None of the above is based on any clear fact, just anglers perceptions.

Personally I would rather see a rise in the MLS for several species including cod, in return for less quota and other restrictions, to work with both in some cases is not possible, this makes me unpopular with some of my colleagues, who are just fighting (and getting nowhere) for more quota. I am sure things will gradually move in that direction.

Ok wurzel,

Thanks for the constructive reply (no sarcasm meant truly) well we have the 40cm bass increase now (not ideal for anyone we all know) but none the less this will go ahead despite what the nffo's or whatever they are called campaign, if they want to waste money thats up to them i suppose, better spent on lobbying the eu for the 40cm increase eu wide imo, careful i am agreeing with you wurzel.

The golden mile? ok you say that it is not obtainable but at certain popular rsa marks you would consider some type of exclusion zone for netts, i will go along with that would this mean out to one mile?

Beam trawling wurzel we all know is very damaging i cannot except it is not i am afraid and i would like to see some restriction on this practice would'nt you?

Raising of mls must be linked to the species breeding size do you not agree? otherwise i see no relevance in its introduction what so ever.

Thats enough for now, are these the sort of things that can be discussed in an adult and constructive way by the rsa and commercials and a fair compromises made, if so!! why the f**king hell is it not happening, sorry for the language wurzel but cheeeeez, cheers, a trying to be constructive stavey................

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Ok wurzel,

Thanks for the constructive reply (no sarcasm meant truly) well we have the 40cm bass increase now (not ideal for anyone we all know) but none the less this will go ahead despite what the nffo's or whatever they are called campaign, if they want to waste money thats up to them i suppose, better spent on lobbying the eu for the 40cm increase eu wide imo, careful i am agreeing with you wurzel.

The golden mile? ok you say that it is not obtainable but at certain popular rsa marks you would consider some type of exclusion zone for netts, i will go along with that would this mean out to one mile?

Beam trawling wurzel we all know is very damaging i cannot except it is not i am afraid and i would like to see some restriction on this practice would'nt you?

Raising of mls must be linked to the species breeding size do you not agree? otherwise i see no relevance in its introduction what so ever.

Thats enough for now, are these the sort of things that can be discussed in an adult and constructive way by the rsa and commercials and a fair compromises made, if so!! why the f**king hell is it not happening, sorry for the language wurzel but cheeeeez, cheers, a trying to be constructive stavey.........

Hi Stavey

I have been a angler all my life form the age of 4 and a commercial fisherman for the last 30 years I am 56 my veiw is that conservation starts at the beginning (like the four seasons) which is to protect the bio-mass of the breeding stock (this is the first building block of real conservation), you can put up mls all you want but if the existing breeding stock is not got protection from EVERYONE then nothing else will work or be affective.

regards steve

Quote: steve good.

Hi Stavey

I have been a angler all my life form the age of 4 and a commercial fisherman for the last 30 years I am 56 my veiw is that conservation starts at the beginning (like the four seasons) which is to protect the bio-mass of the breeding stock (this is the first building block of real conservation), you can put up mls all you want but if the existing breeding stock is not got protection from EVERYONE then nothing else will work or be affective.

regards steve

Hello steve

Thanks for your reply, whats your ideas steve on how to protect the bio mass of the breeding stock? there has be all sorts of things suggested including the raising of mls/slot sizes/mpa's/quota's (not on bass at the mo) etc etc, apart from the 40cm proposed to come in next spring which is not going to achieve jack for neither sector and with the way things are going with the division getting wider by the minute, between the commercials and the rsa's (and the politicians in between playing games with both) it is not going to help any of us!! or more importantly our fish stocks.

Wurzel has conceded that there should be area's around popular shore area's specificaly for rsa's and i have got to congratulate him for that :thumbs: he is the only commercial i know of on here who can see the sense in it, as well as 99% of all shore angling rsa's, steve i cant remember how many times i and maybe thousands of anglers around our coasts have had there day or entire weekend totaly wrecked by netts and trawlers along the beaches, yes it does make all the difference to whether you will catch or not, the other thing about it is, commercial fishermen did not know what hostility's towards themselves they were creating by such practices, but they do now!! by giving the rsa a bit of space from netting practices in areas where rsa is popular you will soon see how these hostility's will go away, and a with it maybe a remarkable change in attitude towards our commercial industry from the rsa? cheers...............

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Quote: steve good.

Hi Stavey

regards steve

Hello steve

Thanks for your reply, whats your ideas steve on how to protect the bio mass of the breeding stock? there has be all sorts of things suggested including the raising of mls/slot sizes/mpa's/quota's (not on bass at the mo) etc etc, apart from the 40cm proposed to come in next spring which is not going to achieve jack for neither sector and with the way things are going with the division getting wider by the minute, between the commercials and the rsa's (and the politicians in between playing games with both) it is not going to help any of us!! or more importantly our fish stocks.

Wurzel has conceded that there should be area's around popular shore area's specificaly for rsa's and i have got to congratulate him for that :thumbs: he is the only commercial i know of on here who can see the sense in it, as well as 99% of all shore angling rsa's, steve i cant remember how many times i and maybe thousands of anglers around our coasts have had there day or entire weekend totaly wrecked by netts and trawlers along the beaches, yes it does make all the difference to whether you will catch or not, the other thing about it is, commercial fishermen did not know what hostility's towards themselves they were creating by such practices, but they do now!! by giving the rsa a bit of space from netting practices in areas where rsa is popular you will soon see how these hostility's will go away, and a with it a remarkable change in attitude towards our commercial industry from the rsa, cheers...............

Hi Stavey

Protection of breeding stock is close the fishery to everyone at spawning time and just before it is that simple.

There is no point doing anything else until this happens

regards steve

Hi Stavey

Protection of breeding stock is close the fishery to everyone at spawning time and just before it is that simple.

There is no point doing anything else until this happens

regards steve

Hello Steve G

The closeing of the Trevose breeding ground has done absolutely nothing for the Celtic sea cod stocks. FN page 3 Cod will Dominate:

have been a angler all my life form the age of 4 and a commercial fisherman for the last 30 years I am 56 my veiw is that conservation starts at the beginning (like the four seasons) which is to protect the bio-mass of the breeding stock (this is the first building block of real conservation), you can put up mls all you want but if the existing breeding stock is not got protection from EVERYONE then nothing else will work or be affective.

regards steve

It's my experience that the larger fish can normally look after them selves, ie. out swim a trawl,bounce of the average gill net, live in small not worth pursueing shoals. No it's the small easy to catch imiture fish that get hammered.

I don't want to get in to netters against trawler type argument.

Hello Steve G

The closeing of the Trevose breeding ground has done absolutely nothing for the Celtic sea cod stocks. FN page 3 Cod will Dominate:

have been a angler all my life form the age of 4 and a commercial fisherman for the last 30 years I am 56 my veiw is that conservation starts at the beginning (like the four seasons) which is to protect the bio-mass of the breeding stock (this is the first building block of real conservation), you can put up mls all you want but if the existing breeding stock is not got protection from EVERYONE then nothing else will work or be affective.

regards steve

It's my experience that the larger fish can normally look after them selves, ie. out swim a trawl,bounce of the average gill net, live in small not worth pursueing shoals. No it's the small easy to catch imiture fish that get hammered.

I don't want to get in to netters against trawler type argument.

Hi Peter

I have a powerful under 10 metre boat ,if the bass are there, large ones, i can ,and have caught large amounts of them i know what damage the french pair teams can do. I can assure you large bass 10lb plus do not swim out of the way of my trawl thats why i believe the spawning stock should be protected they do not out swim trawl being towed at at 5 to 6 knots

regards steve

Hi Peter

I have a powerful under 10 metre boat ,if the bass are there, large ones, i can ,and have caught large amounts of them i know what damage the french pair teams can do. I can assure you large bass 10lb plus do not swim out of the way of my trawl thats why i believe the spawning stock should be protected they do not out swim trawl being towed at at 5 to 6 knots

regards steve

Fare enough Steve,

So if that is the case do you feel its fair to stop the French pair trawlers and not you ?

I am only trying to look ar the arguments that would come from the French or the EU.

I would also like to see an end to the French winter bass fishery( have done for the last 20 odd years),but I doubt it will ever happen, If the boot was on the other foot would you give it up? It's about what is obtainable.