Anouther lost thread!

frankthebass

Yesterday I put what I felt to be a legitimate thread on How are Gill Nets Ceaned.

Am I going blind? or has it been removed?

No your not sam, i have had a couple of posts removed with no explanation made from newt or elton or who ever! yes even here we are suffering from the cranky political correctness syndrome.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Yesterday I put what I felt to be a legitimate thread on How are Gill Nets Ceaned.

Am I going blind? or has it been removed?

In answer to your question in reverse order

2 No I don't think you're going blind and yes it has been removed

1 You may have felt it was a legitimate thread, others probably did'nt hence its removal

In answer to your question in reverse order

2 No I don't think you're going blind and yes it has been removed

1 You may have felt it was a legitimate thread, others probably did'nt hence its removal

I think that Sam ,er Frank, was trying to get some solid information in preparation for the K&ESFC meeting on Monday, rather than having a dig at rumoured commercial practices.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I have read on this forum that a mallet is employed to smash the crabs and sea urchins to tiny bits against the gunwalls of the boat. Is this correct? or are all the unwantedcrabs and urchinscarefully and painstakingly removed to live anouther day?

Leon - if solid information and sweet reason was the purpose for the topic, the above part with the very sarcastic ending was totally out of place.

Sam - if you would like to try again sans sarcasm and the very PETA-like descriptions, your topic will not be removed.

stavey - Aint that the truth, but sadly so is wurzels incessant commercial clap trap he preeches comes across as one of those snippy personal attacks that would draw an angry response from someone a little less level headed tha Wurzel has shown himself to be. It is also the sort of comment that tends to turn perfectly good and informative topics into slagging matches. Thus the deletion. You may not agree with his viewpoint but 'clap trap' and 'preaching' in this context are insulting.

The beginnings of the topic were quite reasonable

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It's not a rumour! :blink::huh::unsure:

You're right Steve its not a rumour; it's a joke and a very poor one at that

Anyone mad enough to take a mallet to wack lumps out of the boats gunnels which are the boats main hull stiffners would'nt get a chance to raise their arms a second time

Anyone mad enough to believe that they would obviously would'nt believe that a net full of crabs bashed with a mallet would destoy the net and therefore the livelihood of the very men that supposedly carried out this alleged nonesense

You're right Steve its not a rumour; it's a joke and a very poor one at that

Anyone mad enough to take a mallet to wack lumps out of the boats gunnels which are the boats main hull stiffners would'nt get a chance to raise their arms a second time

Anyone mad enough to believe that they would obviously would'nt believe that a net full of crabs bashed with a mallet would destoy the net and therefore the livelihood of the very men that supposedly carried out this alleged nonesense

It wasn't a joke either Brian! :huh:

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

It wasn't a joke either Brian! :huh:

Having worked on a few netters, been involved on a number of scientific surveys using nets, I would like to think that I speak from experience, obviously no where near Wurzels, but enough to make more than an educated guess.

The amount of debris depends on ground, soak time and recent weather conditions. Gear put in just after the first northerly gale of the autumn is likely to be full of all sorts of crap, predominantly weed, if there is a bit of swell, the net may have a good few edibles in, if there are velvets in the area, they can be a real pain, especially if the gear has been left for quite a while (24hrs!!).

I've seen a range of methods used, depending on offending item and number of fleets to be worked during the tide, obviously the greater number of fleets, the greater the urgency to get nets cleared. As a rule of thumb, unwanted shellfish are smashed up, Edibles clear more easily without their legs and claws, these are removed, the shell can then be cleared quite easily, some times a bang on the gunnel will do the trick, no need to get a mallet or hammer out, just swing the net with offending item onto the gunnel, the impact does the rest, remember most fishing vessels will have a SS or re-inforced gunnel to either shoot over or to haul heavier gear onto (pots etc.). Sea urchins can be cleared very quickly with a swift bang on the gunnels, saves time trying to tease out and no cuts to hands or holes in gloves. Velvets are no so lucky, being feisty little critters they usually get no more than a size 8 and then the remaining debris is rubbed together complete with net until the majority falls out onto the deck.

Not such a problem for drift nets like Wurzel uses, but bottom gears with lead line and or no false bottom can sometimes be a real pain to clear, especially if the velvets have tried to walk off with the gear.

Firstly Newt, you have to understand something about a lot of us Brits, we love sarcasm.

Secondly I have worked extensivly on commercial fishing boats and I know dam well what goes on.

The point to the post was to try anf drew a commercial out to deffend the use of a mallit for smashing crabs and urchins out of gill and tremmel nets.

This wasnt really aimed at Wurzel, ( he works a long way offshore where not much rubbish is caught)more in the direction of the bloke that has made these mad proposals to ban bait collection.

Its his insain comments in the proposal about anglers pulling crabs legs of while they are alive that got my back up.(the antis would love it)

I will not get a chance to speak at this meeting it will be all listening, so by asking questions on here I thought it might show that what commercial fishermen do to clean the crabs from their nets is a whole lot worse than anglers using peeler crabs for bait.

Edited by frankthebass

THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM THE FUZZY WUZZIES, THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM!