Where in the UK would you most like to have a weekend fishing?

Steve Burke

I would love to be able to fish Killingworth Lake, near Newcastle, in the days of my youth, but with the tackle, baits and methods that are available to me today. I would also loved to have fished the Medway in the days when it always flowed downstream.

OI OI,

sadly there's only the one lake now but as cold as it is its fishing its head off at the moment for silver fish on a caster, they took the pike out the old lake by the school & put them in there & in the summer carp are easy becose people feed them bread all the time on the housing side silvers down the car park end brilliant, shame about all the bloody swan's.

:angry::angry::angry:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OI OI,

funny enough i would like to fish a canal in dudley west mid where we fished for whatever came past in them day's as a kid or fradley canal where i fished with MOM,dad, & brother,... :lol:

but now when i travel along the A1 i pas a place called the river don (my bro name) & it look's a loverly river dont know anything about it but it look's nice.... :lol:

:huh::huh::huh:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

I'd love to go back to my 2nd fishing trip - at Christchurch on the Hampshire Avon in the 50s! We had no idea it was the Mecca of coarse fishing. We were just happy on this and subsequent trips to catch dace a chuck on trotted bread. We'd never even heard of chub and barbel!

Best of all I'd like to fish my favourite venues of the early 80s with the benefit of 25 years extra experience. If only I knew then what I know now! I'd visit Marden Thorn where I caught my first 3lb perch, the Beult where a 3lb roach eluded me but not my fishing partner. And then there's Bewl Water! I was one swim away from what was a pike hotspot, and a friend and I watched while the next boat bagged up on 20lb+ pike! Later on though 3 groups of us independently discovered the Bewl perch, and from this the Perchfishers was formed.

Today? Well I'd like to fish my own complex at Wingham with my brother who's currently too ill to fish. He's never caught a pike and I'd love him to get one.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I have fished two continents - Africa and the UK - and caught many different types of fish, I have caught Vundu (catfish) in africa to 200lb+.

But - I think I am quite happy fishing my local water here in Cheltenham. I have caught Carp to 20lb+, Tench, Roach to 3lb, Rudd to3lb, Crucians to 2lb, skimmers to 2/3lb, the odd Perch to about 4lb and a couple of other species. I took a mate there three weeks ago, he got a fish a chuck. I was fishing 3 sections of my pole, under my feet, using a single maggot/18 hook. I caught about 30 perch, at least 20 over 2lb and a Carp of about 15lb. My mate said it was heaven!

Why do I want to fish elsewhere?

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Merlino Bill has just reminded me of a place we used to fish on the Swale. We knew it as the Black Bull at Topcliffe.

It went through a field in a Z shape at the top of the field it was pretty bland but as you move down you could catch Big Bream 7-8 lb.

Just after was some stagings on the far side where there were double figure Barbel (who always took you into the staging posts) and then as the river shallowed under the bridge my mate had more than 100lb of chub fishing a waggler against the bushes on the far side with a few small barbel fishing feeder under the bridge.

Unfortunately this is now a syndicate water as the guy who owned it got so much sh1t from anglers who didn't have licences (he was a EA Bailiff as well and didn't let people fish without a licence) so he decided it was too much trouble.

I resently got intouch with the local council website and although they gave me other stretches to fish told me this was still under syndicate.

It was a brill stretch

:yucky::yucky:

me i would like to return to the gravel pit in south cerney, where i caught my first tench.

now... i would like to fish the royalty. fished there before, but you just never know what might turn up. :)

I lived in Cerney in the late eighties Captain, and agree it was great.The big lake (Bradleys held some big tench, and probably still does, but its now a leisure complex :(

Overall like most things the memories are better than the reality, I still go back as me Mum lives in the village, but the area and gravel pits have been 'improved' and is now a thriving water sports venue, to the detriment of the greatest water sport, Angling.

Redmire in the 1970's with chris yates, or fishing off Dover Pier with my uncle Brian (sadly passed away) like we did when i was nine. Fishing with my mate Bruce who every year buys a fishing licence but never gets out due to family/work pressure. My aim for 2007 is to get him out even if i have to kidnap him.

Bill

I remember when the first Pike was caught out of the small lake at Killingworth, I believe the original stock came illegally from an overflow from the Lake at Gosforth Park Nature reserve.

I also remeber the small lake had a head of Crucian Carp that where nigh on impossible to catch and encouraged us to go on our first night fishing forays. We used to take some big Perch at night 2-3lbs I think this was due to the street lights on the causeway providing a sort of permanent dusk.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.