Where in the UK would you most like to have a weekend fishing?

Steve Burke

Er Ive just had a thought how about a boat trip off Scarborough .......................................................................back when the Tunny were being caught? Now that would be a week end to remember!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably Bury Hill. I fished it as a mere youth in the 60's (around the time the first Zander were introduced).

I know it's probably changed out of recognition, but it would bring back memories.

Next would be the tidal Thames where it all started for me. Perhaps one day :):):)

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

How much time have you got? :) Sussex Ouse for Seatrout 1950's

Sussex Arun Seatrout and Pike 1950's

Sussex Rother, Fittleworth, 1950/early 1960's...just to be there :)

Little R Eden, Edenbridge down to Hever, poor fishing, but we didn't know that, but what happy days:)

Keston lakes, stalking the only carp in the Top lake:), chased that one for years, finally witnesed it for my mate Charlie (nicknamed Lob, I wonder why :) ) Check it out in "History of Carp"

Loads of old Estate lakes in Surrey/Sussex/Hampshire/Essex.

Not pretty, but exploring all the "new" gravel pits and the massive increase in carp stocks, PB's all the way :)

Loads more keep flicking in and out of my memory..Yep, Bury Hill, way back when I was about 18 (1955?)

And then the beach fishing, Dungie when the sea was full of fish, Doggies on a cane MK 4 and then solid glass beachcaster, and then hollow glass and tournament casting....Shingle Street for the Thornbacks....Orford for the cod........Hope gap for the Bass :) :)

Trout Ressies...did most of them over a few years, met and fished with some pretty good anglers, fished the Wye on Arthur Coves beat for Salmon...watched him hook (and lose) a mid twenty. A real lesson in fishing skills :)

Then the Kennet for Barbel (I had "done" the Avon years before in my late teens) Just as so many of the fish were getting into double figures...more smileys

Now back to carp and pike and Eels and tench (anything that pulls my string :) )

Wonderfull years, wonderfull places, smashing company and dont think I have ever met a bad person angler)

I forgot Redmire in the late 1960's, but wouldn't want to go back now.

Told you you would need a bit of time :)

Thanks for starting this Steve :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

As a Trout angler first and foremost..I'll stick with Lough Corrib for now. In the past I would have liked to have fished with DW, though Aresly for the Perch as much as Redmire for the carp.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Yes I was going to put codding at Dungie down to Den. Sadly another gone for ever.

Steve's really set me off on this one! since reading the thread Ive had a right "nostalgia day" Been digging out what old photos I still have (lost practically all before 1986 when customs managed to "loose" my photo albums whilst checking my MFO when I returned from Germany).Never really had the same take photos urge since.

Would love to write a book on all those wonderfull places Ive fished.Bit pointless without pictures of how they used to be though.Also as Den said like his River Eden exploits its a personal thing that even if your prepared to others may not be able to share.A real case of "you had to be there".

I would love to see a book from Den though.For me he sums up the "all round angler" over a very interesting time period.

Dont worry though if he wont write one and we both get to fish Wingham I will while away the hours bending his ear to tell me about his experiences!

On the subject of "going back" to waters Ive always been very disapointed.The "remember them how they were" thing being true.Out of interest though there must surely be ones that have changed for the good over the years?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I would love to get in a time machine and take todays tackle back to the Parlour pool on the Hampshire Avon 50 years ago. I would sack up! Mind you I would still use a centre pin reel, just a carbon fibre rod and the hooks and line would be different. Shot and floats would be the same as they were then. Shot because it was better if you got the good stuff and floats because those lovely old handmade Avons were a work of art.

Edited by Waveney One

Blimey WO, I forgot the Parlour, I think it was Salmon anglers only 50 years ago. I WISH WISH WISH I could start again :)

Budgie, if I started to write a book, it would take about 1000 pages just to cover the first couple of years...if your'e gonna do a job, it's gotta be done right :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I guess virtually anywhere is possible to fish nowadays, but Redmire has to be top of my list..all those angling ghosts.

The River Kennett at Hungerford for Roach and Grayling.

The Royalty.

And for old times sakes the Indian Ocean off Bahrain, fantastic fishing, in an Arab Dhow.

Blimey WO, I forgot the Parlour, I think it was Salmon anglers only 50 years ago. I WISH WISH WISH I could start again :)

Budgie, if I started to write a book, it would take about 1000 pages just to cover the first couple of years...if your'e gonna do a job, it's gotta be done right :)

Den

Den I think I know what you mean there just too many places I remember, and as many I have yet to recall. The enthusiasm for the sport as a youth hasn't diminished at all over the years, go on write that book, I for one would want to read it.

Sorry off topic :)