car insurance

Andy_1984

Don't be fooled into thinking it has always been like this. It hasn't. My first insurance, as an eighteen year old student, was £70 for a 1600 Cortina in 1977. There is no way on earth £70 then equates to £1500 now, probably about half that amount. Not that you could even get a quote for a 1.6 petrol engined car now at that age! The insurance companies are crooks. They make no attempt to stop bogus claims because they know they can just bang up the premiums whatever they pay out. How come thirty years ago nobody ever got whiplash apart from in a serious shunt? In those days no-one had headrests, seat belts, crumple zones etc and yet passengers in modern cars with all this equipment get whiplash if a bicycle hits their back end at walking speed. It's because it is well known that the insurance companies will pay out for the most ludicrous personal injury claims without the slightest check.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy,

the value of your car will have relatively little effect on the price. Most of what you are insuring against is not the cost of replacing your car, it's the cost of the personal injury compensation claims if you mow down a bus queue. For example, this year I sold a group 17 car worth about 8k and replaced it with a group 16 car worth 18k. My insurance actually went down from 540 to 380.

I wouldn't worry too much about the engine size either, insurers don't really use that any more. They do use insurance group, which depends on a whole range of factors including engine size/power, security, cost to repair, type of drivers it attracts, etc. An Astra 1.7D estate can be anything from group 4 to group 9 (it goes up to 20) depending. A 1.4 petrol is between 4 and 8. You can check your car by entering your details here. You might be able to get a noticeable difference in your quote if you were insuring a group 1 or 2 car, but they are mostly too small for carting fishing gear about, and they are really rubbish value for money second hand compared to what you've got; well overpriced. Also, the fact that you've bought an unfashionable diesel estate car is likely to be in your favour, it's hardly a boy racer mobile so you won't get lumped in with the Max Power brigade.

Bottom line, I reckon you'll do well to get it below 1200 quid whatever you do. That seems to be about the starting point for a young male driver with a provisional and no NCD. It seems like a ripoff, but it isn't; they don't directly make any money on car insurance, the income comes from investing the premiums. I'm afraid the premium just accurately represents the risk for young male drivers. Blame the ambulance chasers for rising insurance costs.

just got my quote from direct line, 2 grand :blink:

dunno what im doin wrong.

dob: 26/11/1984 (21 years old, 22 this sunday :D )

car is a P reg vauxhall astra estate 1.7 diesel manual (comes up as turbo diesel but engine was swaped with same engine just not turbo)

car is kept in under my flats secured with cctv at the place where i live with a police station as you drive out of the garage

ill probably be doing up to 12,000 miles per year (fishing and dropping my nephew of at school)

i'am the only driver,owner,policy holder, and all the other stuff they ask

im stumped :blink:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

just got my quote from direct line, 2 grand :blink:

dunno what im doin wrong.

dob: 26/11/1984 (21 years old, 22 this sunday :D )

car is a P reg vauxhall astra estate 1.7 diesel manual (comes up as turbo diesel but engine was swaped with same engine just not turbo)

car is kept in under my flats secured with cctv at the place where i live with a police station as you drive out of the garage

ill probably be doing up to 12,000 miles per year (fishing and dropping my nephew of at school)

i'am the only driver,owner,policy holder, and all the other stuff they ask

im stumped :blink:

The problem is your 21 with no no-claims bonus. Nothing else. Its they same situation I was in recently, although I started at 20. Unfortunately we still get lumped in with the 17-18 year old boy racers who mow down bus lines and the like.

I insured a 1.9td 405 estate when I passed my test and quotes ranged from £3500 to £1500.

If you have the time and money look at doing pass plus, it MIGHT bring some quotes down by about 1/3.

Other than that keep searching until you find the best deal, different companies will give you different quotes over the phone or online, and they change from day to day. Also you might get lucky and find a company giving an intro discount which might give you a more sensible quote.

Looking at Parker's Guide your car is pretty much the same group as mine, so your insurance should come down if you can get a couple of year NCB under your belt, mine this year with 2 years NCB is just under £500, although I had one quote come back at nearly £5000

Can't remember after trawling through all the answers if the AA had been suggested. We're paying about £350 on a new group 17 car.....that's after stopping my £750 rip off policy on a Land Rover with Direct Line - now ( unfortunately) chopped in to pay for the new one :cry:

Edited by Paul_D

Paul

this is by far the worst thing i have ever had to search for, i mean what the hell is up with these people.

using confused.com to get a list of quotes fast as im sure you all now its a realy mundain proccess of filling the same crap out all the time, anyway "yes insurance" seemed to be up the top of my list at the moment with insurance at 1,300 roughly, about 119 a month, after resubmitting my quote on confused to retrieve expired quotes, now the exact same information as before but now they want 1,519 i mean c'mon :angry:

does the weather play a large part in your insurance ???? (sarcasim) oh its cold to day thats gonna take a while to heat his arse on the seat lets bill him for it as he may get a medical condition, PILES

ugh im screaming inside right now

and more than had the cheek to call me and offer a 10% discount on a £4,000 policy i told him not to be cheeky and he hung up.

Edited by Andy_1984

Guest Brumagem Phil

Andy, just cough up before we all come over and shake you by the ankles till your wallet thuds on the floor :)

At confused, your previous quotes will be saved.........they will also contain a reverence number (just spotted the typo there but will leave it as its best freudian slip I've made in a while) from the unsurer which gaurantees the quote for 30 days. Hope this helps!

Andy, just cough up before we all come over and shake you by the ankles till your wallet thuds on the floor :)

At confused, your previous quotes will be saved.........they will also contain a reverence number (just spotted the typo there but will leave it as its best freudian slip I've made in a while) from the unsurer which gaurantees the quote for 30 days. Hope this helps!

Andy - Phil etc have said it all. Cough up or get a quickie sex-change operation ;)

Girls are much safer on the roads and the insurance bods know it. It's actual science ! :sun:

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Andy - Phil etc have said it all. Cough up or get a quickie sex-change operation ;)

Girls are much safer on the roads and the insurance bods know it. It's actual science ! :sun:

yup i know, i was expecting 1.5 thousand to be honest, just disapointed you know when you see somthin cheaper you want it then you cant it just gets to ya, but er aye 2 weeks ill have enough for deposit and all that crap, should be on the road in no time now :yeah:

Hi all

andy i was on NU for about 3yrs and after the crash i was left feeling kinda let down by them

damn call centres and the ability to understand english is very frustrating having to spell out everything to them

now with budget but insured by (you guessed it)NU again:)

they fish for the best qoute and its not budget?:)so i should have stuck with NU

factors which seem to rise your ££££

miles per year

cost of your car(buying a 300 pound car gets you 300 pound cash in the event your car gets scrapped:)

where you lock it

postcode

engine size

alarms/immoboliser

having a turbo which is what your car HAD(if im right)which is what will show on the records despite any engine change(they wont know of the change(unless it was filed)

sex:)

pleasure/business uses

etc etc

its all total shite when your young and when your license is new:)

tbh i found having a boring volvo helps plus kepping the cc to a 1.1-1.3

steve

sod everyone else,do it anyway:)

sod duck season lets have tvla season!

capita beware(thiefs with badges)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg