Pike Fishing...?

craynerd

How many of you fish for pike, and whats the best method. The reson i say is because when i went to Burrs on Sunday two young lads were pike fishing with dead bait. Two treble hooks, one in the bait and one free, smallish rods and 5lb line. I sat there freezing my knackers off for 3 hours for one tiddler yet one of the lads pulled a damn big pike out, nice fish!

Seemed a crude way of fishing, is a spinner a good way to go...i think i could get into that!

a lot to learn first......just curious!!!!!!!! :-D

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Five pound lines is not good news. Unfortunately pike are seen in much the same way as pit bull terriers by many youngsters and they take up piking before learning the basics.

There is a best way of catching pike, the method that catches on the day. Me, I'm happiest using lures, but I'd be a fool if I only used lures.

Lure fishing is great fun, but deads do have their days. Also a question of attitude and what suits you. Don't be mislead into thinking that lures are for summer only. Not much is further from the truth. You can have some great winter lure sessions where all those around you that are fishing deads simply blank. But it can go the other way!

Go to http://www.pacgb.com and have a surf around.

Yes, those who deadbait do tend to be crude.

[ 28. February 2005, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

I do fish for Pike as well but have to agreed with Peter that five pound line is no good. For lure fishing I would step up the line rating to 10lb B.S. or 12lb B.S but i would settle for 15lb B.S. for general piking if there is any snags in the water.

[ 28. February 2005, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Burgess ]

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

What exact setup do u use then when u deadbait?

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Andrew Burgess:

I do fish for Pike as well but have to agreed with Peter that five pound line is no good. For lure fishing I would step up the line rating to 10lb B.S. or 12lb B.S but i would settle for 15lb B.S. for general piking if there is any snags in the water.

Now you surprise me there I would have thought Budgie would have drummed it into you that you need at least 20/25lb for Pike, I think he goes a lot higher than that actually.

I would say 15lb is a bit too risky.

Nugg,I may have caused some confusion here! I think 15lb breaking strain monofiliment is perfectly adequate for pike fishing.The reason I use a lot higher breaking strain braided lines is simply because I choose my braid by diameter rather than breaking strain.This prevents problems caused by braids poor abrassion resistance.Most 15lb monos have a diameter of around 0.35mm, braid in this same diameter can be over three times that breaking strain.

[ 28. February 2005, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!