Is this a sea trout?

Anderoo

Ha nice Barry, I'm not sure I'm ready to eat anything from the Thames yet!

I'd have weighed and photographed it in much the same way as if I'd caught any unusual species or sized fish. It makes no difference if it's in our out of season if it's not deliberately targeted.

For example if I was to find a dead fish or a fish stuck in receding floods for example if it was an interesting size or species I'd weigh it and photograph it for interests sake.

Rich

fair point Kappa

apart from the fact that did the thames win some sorta prestige international award a couple of years ago for the most improved river.

ho ho.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I think the original intent of the closed season rules was that you wouldn't bash its head in and take it home for dinner if it was out of season!

I think the original intent of the closed season rules was that you wouldn't bash its head in and take it home for dinner if it was out of season!

I think the intent of the Salmon and migratory trout licence is so you pay your money if you want to retain a salmon or migratory trout, be it to weigh, photo or to smack on the head and take home when in season. Out of season or with any other licence, you can't retain them.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

With modern catch and release practices, the main difference is that you don't catch them on purpose. The legislation is in terms of "fishes for, kills or takes" - I don't think photographing, weighing and releasing was really considered. Perhaps the legislation needs revisiting. Mortality is increased by keeping a fish out of water longer than necessary, but most of the harm is from catching it.

Whether it is a breach of ethics is a matter of opinion. The EA guy for my region was interested to see a photo of an out of season Thames trout in the net, though I didn't weigh it and it didn't add any significant handling time. In the unlikely event that I should fluke a barbel on the fly next month, I think he'd like to see that too.

All,

I was curious what the regulations say about the difference between "catch and release" and "catch and immediate release"

I thought this was interesting. The definition of "catch and release":

Catch and release guidance

By following the guidelines fish you release will have a very high chance of going on to spawn successfully.

• always use small single hooks
  • don’t use trebles
  • use barbless hooks (barbed hooks can be made barbless by pinching the barb with pliers)
  • use a strong rod and line to subdue a fish quickly
  • consider the strength of flows and the size of fish likely to be encountered when selecting the right tackle to use
  • before fishing, think about where a fish might be landed
  • keep the fish in the water and avoid beaching or dragging it up a steep bank before release
  • once hooked, bring the fish to hand or net as quickly as possible - this will reduce stress and fatigue and make sure the fish is able to recover quickly
  • keep handling time to a minimum
  • keep the fish in the water at all times as exposure to air for long periods will reduce survival rates
  • make sure your hands are wet before handling fish
  • avoid squeezing the fish
  • use pliers to remove hooks
  • If hooks are too deep and removal will lead to damage or delayed release, cut the line as near to the hook as possible
  • support the fish in the water preferably in a gentle current and with the fish facing upstream
  • be patient as recovery can take several minutes
  • wait until the fish recovers sufficiently to swim away from you
  • high water temperatures (over 21 degrees celcius) can significantly reduce survival rates, so anglers should take extra care when practising catch and release when flows are low and water temperatures are high (typical summer conditions)

There was mention NO KEEPNETS (salmon and trout) maybe that is the difference???????

Phone

Now here's a pretty looking sea trout, 14lb, first of the season from the Towy. Caught by a coracle fisherman and being auctioned for charity.

sewin_zpsm1vts4yf.jpg

http://www.swanseasound.co.uk/news/local/support-for-cameron-comey-fund/

• 1 month later...

Just to add to this - there is definitely a run of smolts out of the Thames, I've just been shown a picture of one that turned up in an EA survey!

Anderoo,

On the topic - from coffee this morning - the answer is yes and no. "Sea Trout" is any trout caught in the sea. I'm told sea trout is not a species but rather a description of any number of different trout.

May be different in the UK but I was beat around the head and neck with a noodle for being so stupid this morning.

Phone