calling volusian, nicepix, nemo -

space monkey

firstly a warm welcome to all as i'm a freshman to this site!! - been looking at the post from volusian - now then mate, i've been yak fishing all summer around your patch as i live in the holbeck area of scarborough - i fish cornelian (to the left of cayton) and gristhorpe (to the right of cayton) lauching from holbeck, cornelian and cayton, i have got to know the area quite well and have had some good cod catches (top a 14lber) would love to meet up with any of you guys and share info and fish - i fish as often as i can but the weather recently has made it difficult - anyway let me know if anyone's interested

see ya

space monkey

now then space monkey ....

out of interest ... are you the the guy we bumped into a while back on our sport kayaks at Cayton bay . ??

you were on a green prowler and had caught a few codling that day ... was around 2 or so months back.

We chatted for a while with you ... if not then there is someone else kayak fishing in the area too ...

thanks

volusian

Welcome Space Monkey. Nice to see another Tyke on here. :thumbs:

I'll be pleased to join you and the others off the east coast. Be warned though, I usually fly-fish and don't yet have the right bait tackle to do justice to the area.

Regards, Clive

yes volusian I remember you 2 - so you took the plunge? well done - how you been doing? are you handling the fishing yaks ok? are you nailing the cod? have the seals accepted you? its a good spot gristhorpe, plenty of areas, use your sonar to find gullies and run offs, the bottom changes rapidly, have a mooch around "old horse" (the single rock exposed 4down at the filey end of bay) - anyway hopefully we can meet up some time? - nicepix - wouldn't mind having a go at the fly and was thinking about it, i have a small fly rod, although this would be a summer method - i have spare tackle for cod fishing winter and summer which you could use, although for the winter you really need an anchor system - i think you'll enjoy the summer codding around our patch, hitting cod hard jigging on braid in shallow water gives you a nice rush of adrenalian - have you hit any bass around flamborough on the fly? have you tried reighton for bass on the fly?

see you

space monkey

Doing fine .... loving every minute of it .. was out at Mappleton on saturday .... great day.. bit windy though.

We are up your way soon again at Filey / Cayton. I am also running a competition at www.kayakfishinguk.com if anyones interested ..

Edited by Volusian

I use an anchor sometimes, though drifting is more productive. I generally fish close to the shore at marks where shore anglers can't reach, Port Mulgrave, Runswick Bay and Kettleness for example. Sometimes I have ventured south to Flamborough too.

Never caught a bass in the locations you mention. I'm sure they are there in summer though.

Regards, Clive

Space Monkey,

Welcome, seem's to be an ever increasing team of yakker's turning up in the area, now I don't feel so alone. Would be interested in meeting up in the near future as soon as the weather settles a bit.

Nicepix, Sorted myself with some WF 7# for my 9 1/2 footer during summer but never got the chance to use it in anger, had a bit of a practice on dry land and it seems that you can loose the knack for fly casting if you havn't done it for 12 year's :headhurt: . Still, managed not to impale me self :rolleyes:.

Cheers

Nemo,

Perception Freedom Angler

I have heard a lot about the fishing off Yorkshire - it is somewhere I have necer really seen, just driven through. I took a detour the other day (on bike) around the Kirbymoorisde area - and Pickering. fabulous. Then on COAST the oter day they were coming down there - I had never realised you had cliffs! I thought Yorkshire coast was like Lincolnshire and all sand.......shows how wrong you can be.

I would love to come up there on a trip one day - although i have been saying that about a lot of places. Work just gets in the way and then the weather lets me down. Having never caught a cod - of any size - you catching them has pricked up my ears.....any chance of a cod virgin being allowed along?

Neil got me my first plaice this spring - 40 years fishig and never caugt a plaice - thanks to his kindness and help I have now. Not a big one, about 1lb at most But, it had red spots and that's all that counts.

It is a fair trek for me - probably 3 hours or more drive. But on a promising looking weekend I would make the effort. Can you get cod on fly up there? Or is the water too deep and murky? Pollack and Coalies take a fly happily.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I have heard a lot about the fishing off Yorkshire - it is somewhere I have necer really seen, just driven through. I took a detour the other day (on bike) around the Kirbymoorisde area - and Pickering. fabulous. Then on COAST the oter day they were coming down there - I had never realised you had cliffs! I thought Yorkshire coast was like Lincolnshire and all sand.......shows how wrong you can be.

I would love to come up there on a trip one day - although i have been saying that about a lot of places. Work just gets in the way and then the weather lets me down. Having never caught a cod - of any size - you catching them has pricked up my ears.....any chance of a cod virgin being allowed along?

Neil got me my first plaice this spring - 40 years fishig and never caugt a plaice - thanks to his kindness and help I have now. Not a big one, about 1lb at most But, it had red spots and that's all that counts.

It is a fair trek for me - probably 3 hours or more drive. But on a promising looking weekend I would make the effort. Can you get cod on fly up there? Or is the water too deep and murky? Pollack and Coalies take a fly happily.

What fish do you get at Mappleton? Had a look at comp site and i'll be interested at that if i'm not working, does a seal count as most unusual fish? - hi nemo/nicepix - will post when i'm going so keep looking, hopefully we could meet up - simon, yes north yorks coast is diverse in scenery, and yes there are some spectacular cliffs, i fish under bempton cliffs which are 350 foot high and are stunning on the eye, although its mainly cod fishing there are more bass turning up each year probably an effect of sea temps rising - i would be more than willing to show you some spots where the cod are obliging although i think it would be best to wait until june 07 - on you light tackle theme (fly) i don't think you could but who knows, the water in summer is clear enough, but most fish come in the 30-50 foot zone, i am always thinking of how to improve the scrap and for next year i'm going to scale down my tackle when i can, ramming a good cod on a 2oz jig and 12lb class rod should be fun - anyway let me know and i'll show you around

see you all

space monkey

Simon, if you are motorbiking then the road from Pickering to Whitby and on towards Teeside, then loop back through Rosedale has got to be one of the best runs in the UK.

The fishing is diverse to say the least. From Staithes in the north you have the highest cliffs in the UK. Coming south towards Whitby you pass several places where shore anglers cannot reach. Cod and coalfish can be caught in winter and bass are no strangers in summer. You have a vast shallow sandy bays at Runswick and Sandsend, the former is sheltered, the latter as good a surf beach as you will find in Yorkshire. As you head past Whitby south towards Scarborough you find several sheltered bays and then even further south there is Flamborough Head and Filey Briggs both of which extend out into deep water. Bridlington Bay is fast becoming known for tope fishing.

The water can be murky in places especially near the Humber, but off rocky shores it is very clear.

Regards, Clive