Seriously considering emigrating - advice needed.

phooey

There are any number of stories of Brits who have moved to France and Spain, only to return once the sun&sangria has worn off or when they realise there's no NHS when they get old and sick.

dont know where you get the idea from that there is no NHS in spain mate? its actually rated the sixth best public health system in the world, (the uk is 24th)

(source W.H.O)

if you are over 65 you can exchange your uk entitlement to health care straight over to the spanish NHS (bargain)

under 65, you need to be working, and paying your contribution to sign into it.

the european health card they will only except now for holidaymakers needing emergency treatment,one of my jobs is interpreter, i do quite a few hospital visits for non spanish speaking brits here.(spanish is easy to learn by the way)

cheers dave. :)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dont know where you get the idea from that there is no NHS in spain mate? its actually rated the sixth best public health system in the world, (the uk is 24th)

(source W.H.O)

if you are over 65 you can exchange your uk entitlement to health care straight over to the spanish NHS (bargain)

under 65, you need to be working, and paying your contribution to sign into it.

the european health card they will only except now for holidaymakers needing emergency treatment,one of my jobs is interpreter, i do quite a few hospital visits for non spanish speaking brits here.(spanish is easy to learn by the way)

cheers dave. :)

Yeah, I must have been thinking about old people's homes. I'm well aware that both France and Spain have infinitely better health care than us (who doesn't?). But as you say you have to be working and paying in to it until you get your bus pass. Not much good if you retire in your late 40s. But I've got to say Spain always was my favourite escapist fanatasy; having been born in Venezuela, I always felt at home amongst the Latin temperament. I spent a lot of time there in the 80s and loved every minute of it. But, since then, I've set my heart on Cornwall. Whether that's any more likely to happen remains to be seen. :mellow::)

hiya paintfly, in your late 40´s.you have two options.

1. take out private healthcare until you reach 65.

(can be expensive, and they seem to have a lot of get out clauses, to avoid paying out)

2. register yourself self employed(known as autonimo) this gives you instant access to the nhs.it costs 234€ a month, which seems expensive, probally not much more than health insurance though.BUT after 15 years of paying, you are entitled to a pension from the spanish government, which is at the moment worth more monthly, than the uk one after paying in 40 odd years.

I´m doing the second one! :lol:

best wishes dave. :)

also being registered self employed, you can LEGALLY do odd jobs etc to earn a bit of pin money if you wish.

Edited by captain cojones

The variety of Spanish they speak in Florida is that horrible Cuban dialect but if you know Spanish, it isn't much harder than trying to understand Kentish.

The Puerto Rican Spanish in New York or the Mexican Spanish in North Carolina are both a bit easier on the ears for me and probably would be for Dave as well since they are closer to the Spanish spoken in southern Spain.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks - yeah there are a lot of good ppl in the UK but they are being badly let down by their government. I was considering Wales but hey, if I'm going to up sticks I might as well do it properly.

Just imagine waking up in a beautiful house in a beautiful country full of beautiful women with great weather and fantastic fishing right out the front door. :sun:

The food in Thailand is excellent and my mate say's you can live like a KING on £50.00 a month ! :yeah:

Now go stick your head out the window and tell me its better over here ? :wallbash:

fishing is not fantastic there Phoo,I,ve been out all night and blanked there quite a few times :wallbash:

you'll only shag yourself silly anyway :rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Captain Cojones, your providing some good info there......it's tempting me :)

Newt.........As a ' Man of Kent' , i don't know what you mean..........we speak proper English ! :boxing: They understood me well enough in Cape Cod....though i did have trouble having a conversation with a guy from 'Joisey' :lol:

Dave ;)