To find the Swim!

ljstronge

I'm off fishing tommorow and Im going to my local canal that I've fished only twice before.

It's a pretty big strtch and I was just wondering if there is any little tricks to us to find out where abouts I should try.

The stretch has over 200 pegs and I could try any of them.

Is there any way I can walk the stretch and see any signs of a decent swim?

Spot where the best fishing areas are etc?

Cheers

Toby

"Pineapples are Evil"

"No really!, they are!!"

Guest Ferret1959

Check match results on the stretches you want to fish.

Obviously fish the pegs that were top weights. :)

Boats are good hiding places for shoaling fish, overhanging trees are good too.

Look out for fish movement, surface ripples will show fish are there.

At the end of the day the more time you spend there fishing or not you will learn watercraft.

Tell ya what, that's gotta be the most sensible post I have ever posted.:D :D :D

When you do chose your swim, make sure you plumb it before fishing, look for holes and shelves in the depth, the holes and by the shelves are natraul shoaling places, also deeper swims as the weather has turned cold, fish tend to move deeper in the cold weather

Dan

Edited by Moodyboy

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

Well others can advise better than me, but to start the ball rolling: look for features, specially if they give the fish some cover from the air - even a small bush can mean a holding spot; streams flowing in; they say that the fish will hide under boats; rushes etc that they can hide in, too. I guess canals don't give the fish much security at all at this time of year as the water gets clear, so this is starting to get more important than it is in the summer.

A thing that took me a long time to believe is that the quality fish are often in quite shallow water under the far bank - the 'far shelf' - though I don't think that would apply to bream, which will usually be in the deeper water.

But I only do a bit of canal angling, so lets see what others say.

john clarke

When you do chose your swim, make sure you plumb it before fishing, look for holes and shelves in the depth, the holes and by the shelves are natraul shoaling places, also deeper swims as the weather has turned cold, fish tend to move deeper in the cold weather as mentioned by others cover is at a premium on canals, so anything that provides shelter is a good starting point.

To be honest what rabbit said about the matches is an excellent idea, although remember to try and figure out why these swims are productive at this time of year, you could then take that to other waters where match has not been fished but apply the same theories,

"It's watercraft my dear Watson"

Dan

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

Thanks guys

sound like some really good tips there

Thanks for all your quick responses.

Just another quick question

I have heard 2 conflicting ideas about fishing this canal.

Both have come from tackle shops in the area. 1 gent said the best time to fish is JUST after dawn and JUST before dusk, whereas the second gent said its best to fish in the middle of the day when the temperature is at its highest.

lol, are both these good points or is it dependant apon the canal in question.

Sorry to ask basic questions guys, if I don't ask, I dont know right!!

"Pineapples are Evil"

"No really!, they are!!"

Guest Ferret1959
To be honest what rabbit said about the matches is an excellent idea, although remember to try and figure out why these swims are productive at this time of year, you could then take that to other waters where match has not been fished but apply the same theories,

"It's watercraft my dear Watson"

Dan

Hey just you watch it Mateyboy. ;)

Both have come from tackle shops in the area. 1 gent said the best time to fish is JUST after dawn and JUST before dusk, whereas the second gent said its best to fish in the middle of the day when the temperature is at its highest.

I tried a longer answer which got lost. Short answer: while water temperatures are not too low, as now, dawn and dusk are best. Midday is not right, though there are always exceptions. When water temps get low, after a cold frost at night, dusk may be better than dawn.

john clarke

The middle of the day isn't the highest temperature as there's always a time lag for both the air and the water to warm up.

In my experience, dusk is usually an excellent time to catch fish in the winter, and is normally even better than dawn at this time of year. In fact, I often catch after dark in winter, even when my rod rings are beginning to freeze up!

Even though it's on fishing rivers in very cold conditions you may find this article of mine to be helpful: http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve05.htm

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net