Waterproof digital camera or bag ..

Volusian

Anyone recommend a good all round waterproof digital camera with not too high a price tag .. ?

I already have a small fuji 40i with a Professional grade Zillion 100m underwater case but the batteries never really last that long at all ... only seem to get half doz shots on a good set of duracells .. :schmoll: .... think its probably nackered dont you think ... !

I also have a Canon S3-IS camera which is excellent but isnt waterproof at all ..... are the aquapac bags good at keeping expensive cameras dry .. ?

.... all in all though i think i would prefer a new very small digital that is waterproof and has a good long battery life and also video capabilities ...

anyone .....

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are the aquapac bags good at keeping expensive cameras dry .. ?

yes, but you have to watch out for condensation, but a couple of silica gel packs sorts that out

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Hi Vol.

Wouldnt like to comment on your technical probs with the other camera.

I started out with a cheap and cheerfull Nikon Coolpix 2200, ( £99) great little camera, but not waterproof at all.

I bought a waterproof box ( £10) to keep it in, and it surrvived no problem, still using it.

You have to be a bit carfull with wet hands when using it, but I had no probs.

I then went for a Olympus CWPC-01, and bought the waterproof housing.

A small camera easy to use ( has to be for me :rolleyes: )

No need to spend a fortune, its what works for you.

Heres the link to the CWPC-01.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/198_CWPC-01_.htm

Hope its usefull.

Bill.

Several use the Pentax Optio W10 - IP 8, just over £100. Alternatively use a cheap digital and protect it. I started out with an Aquapac (of sorts) but needed to remove the cam from bag to use as pictures no good in bag, better quality bag with opitcal quality window might help. Now just use a small tupperware type box with silica gel pack and take cam out to use. Will probably get an Optio when the cheapy dies or goes overboard :lol: .

Edited by overrun

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Hi Vol.

Wouldnt like to comment on your technical probs with the other camera.

I started out with a cheap and cheerfull Nikon Coolpix 2200, ( £99) great little camera, but not waterproof at all.

I bought a waterproof box ( £10) to keep it in, and it surrvived no problem, still using it.

You have to be a bit carfull with wet hands when using it, but I had no probs.

I then went for a Olympus CWPC-01, and bought the waterproof housing.

A small camera easy to use ( has to be for me :rolleyes: )

No need to spend a fortune, its what works for you.

Heres the link to the CWPC-01.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/198_CWPC-01_.htm

Hope its usefull.

Bill.

Hi Yakity ....

Does the Olympus jobbie float by chance if dropped in water .. ?

thanks

Hi Volusian,

After killing my old Cannon 2MP digital ( no immersion, just salt air) i bought a Pentax Optio W20 7MP :clap2: ......couldn't find a W10 anywhere.

It's early days yet but they claim waterproof to 1 meter as well as dust proof , so it should survive in my pocket a bit longer.

It doesn't float so it might pay to attache one to it :unsure:

As the lens and screen might be prone to scratches, it might be an idea to get a soft case for it.

Dave ;)

Hi Vol.

Unfortunatly.....no.

There is a hand strap that comes with the camera, I have attatached a small surface float to it, works a treat, keeps the camera up.

Handy too, if while taking a pic you get tipped, the float will hopefully make finding the camera easier , if you loose your grip on it.

Some cameras do float, but i like the added security of the small additional float.

Bill.

Funny enough my wife got an Optio w20 for christmas. Didnt realise it might be good for yakking ;):P

I must mention it later.

Will let you know how it goes B):lol:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

interesting thread.... I have just tied the camera around my neck and shoved it into the floatation device in calm conditions only! I wasn't aware that Pentax did affordable waterproof cameras either.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame