at the risk of appearing ignorant

Clifftop

Will someone enlighten me and please tell me what a Shad is,as in bait. :help:
hi mate a shad is a small imitation bait fish that moves damn well when retrived slowly ,,,

but given the problems of translation ..ie durex & sellotape ,,i hope ive helped ,,,,any way mate happy new year,,,,,,,,,

Edited by groyne bandit

Ime off to yak skoool,,,,,,no more overruns to get out there,,,,

These:

post-558-1167670085_thumb.jpg

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Will someone enlighten me and please tell me what a Shad is,as in bait. :help:

Here you go, mate, twaite shad, very similar to the Qld herring and, I believe, the basis of the American term for angling lures, especially soft plastics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Alosa_fallax.png

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Threadfin & gizzard shad are a major food source for many freshwater pred fish species. American & hickory shad are as well when smaller and when full grown, are lots of fun on light tackle and often used for cut bait. The usual shad lure bodies resemble juvenile threadfins and gizzards. I suspect they look like an alewife or similar to sea fish.

shad.jpg

American shad

amshad.jpg

Hickory shad (note the jutting lower jaw)

hickoryshad.gif

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Threadfin & gizzard shad are a major food source for many freshwater pred fish species. American & hickory shad are as well when smaller and when full grown, are lots of fun on light tackle and often used for cut bait. The usual shad lure bodies resemble juvenile threadfins and gizzards. I suspect they look like an alewife or similar to sea fish.

shad.jpg

G'day mate, very similar to the local bony bream, nematolosa erebi

Neere_u0.gif

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

In the UK we have the Twaite shad, and the protected Allis shad.

Both fish live in the sea, but move up the rivers into freshwater to spawn.

It is very difficult to tell the different species apart with any confidence, so in view of the protected status of allis shad, it is best to return all shads that might be caught

see more at:

http://www.english-nature.org.uk/LIFEinUKR...ecies/shad.html

Twaite Shad

shad_min.jpg

Allis Shad

allis-shad-alosa-alosa.jpg

And a possible Allis shad that I caught

allisshade.jpg

When talk is of shad baits, its the soft platic 'shads' that are being referred to.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust