Unhooking Mats

Polly

Gonna get one for my birthday but which one?????

Seen Epping Fishing Tackle advert in ACF, they're offering JRC High Care Mat for a mere £29.99 which is half price!!!!! sounds and looks like a bargain to be had but being Mr Cautious I thought I'd ask around before ordering one (on wifey's behalf!!!!). Anyone using one of these, the pictures I've seen make them look like the mutz nutz and I was wondering if they perform as good as they look. Think I would prefer to have poly-ball filling rather than foam though but interested to hear from you guys about which mats you prefer.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Gonna get one for my birthday but which one?????

Seen Epping Fishing Tackle advert in ACF, they're offering JRC High Care Mat for a mere £29.99 which is half price!!!!! sounds and looks like a bargain to be had but being Mr Cautious I thought I'd ask around before ordering one (on wifey's behalf!!!!). Anyone using one of these, the pictures I've seen make them look like the mutz nutz and I was wondering if they perform as good as they look. Think I would prefer to have poly-ball filling rather than foam though but interested to hear from you guys about which mats you prefer.

You don't need to spend that much on a decent mat, I bought one, that you've seen, on a popular auction site for less than £20 delivered,filled with poly balls etc. Good strong material will last for years. Nice and soft to lay on.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

I use a pro logic one witch you can inflate by blowing up but is not needed.when fully un wrapt it's a decent size and cost me£15 from taskers angling in Liverpool well worth it as well,.

I have the JRC XL hi care mat (I assume that's the same model you mention). It's a brilliant mat and (IMO) far safer than ordinary mats - if you need to turn your back on a fish in the mat. I used a similar mat in France that I could have slept in - it was that large (well and me that small ;) ). Mats that have high sides mean that a fish cannot slip off(out) of the mat whatever it does.

In fact my mate who owns his own lake and syndicate was considering making those sort of mats compulsory because of their inherent fish friendlyness.

If that's not too obvious, I'm a fan :D

Rob.

You don't need to spend that much on a decent mat, I bought one, that you've seen, on a popular auction site for less than £20 delivered,filled with poly balls etc. Good strong material will last for years. Nice and soft to lay on.

Was only thinking about my comfort !!!! I'll probably never get to put a fish on it anyway. See Roy Stubbs post below, like him I like the idea of sides (and lid!!!!) so that fish (HA HA!!!) can't slide off if y'turn y'back for a second or two. Mostly have my camera set up and ready but sometimes get distracted whilst dealing with the fish.

I have the JRC XL hi care mat (I assume that's the same model you mention). It's a brilliant mat and (IMO) far safer than ordinary mats - if you need to turn your back on a fish in the mat. I used a similar mat in France that I could have slept in - it was that large (well and me that small ;) ). Mats that have high sides mean that a fish cannot slip off(out) of the mat whatever it does.

In fact my mate who owns his own lake and syndicate was considering making those sort of mats compulsory because of their inherent fish friendlyness.

If that's not too obvious, I'm a fan :D

Rob.

Thanks Rob,

other than bulkiness then are there any other faults/problems. Half price is to good-a-bargain to miss I reckon

Thanks Rob,

other than bulkiness then are there any other faults/problems. Half price is to good-a-bargain to miss I reckon

There's certainly nothing that springs to mind. They are bulky but not heavy and unlike some mats they don't soak up half a ton of water and take days to dry. I was out in the pouring rain just after christmas and the mat still dried out really quickly and never soaked up any water.

Rob.

P.S. And with the carrying handles and covered top it's a very safe way of carrying the fish back to the lake, rather than having to put back in the weighsling after doing the pics.

Edited by RobStubbs

Chub carp cradle is "the bizz" bit bulky, but best I have used and seen...

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic