shimano tribal

david t

Hello

Ive had a shimano tribal winter jacket for 3 years now, it cost me £120 new, and i can now say its rubbish! its ok in cold dry weather, but as its got a sort of micro fleece outer which is still waterproff, the microfleece layer holds onto water in wet weather. it doesnt let water run off it like a normal water proof coat. the result is it keeps a layer of cold water next to you, and you get cold. in ireland the other week, standing in the rain, it really annoyed me, water would seep up the inside of my sleeves, upto my elbow level, and also it would seep down my neck, as the microfleece acts like a wick. And the coat takes a year to dry out, well, not exactly, but it takes more than 12 hours on a radiator.

Basically, if the tribal stuff still has the microfleece outer layer, dont buy it, in my opinion, because i now believe it is rubbish, and a waste of money. I think my next water proof will come from a sailing shop, i figure if a waterproof is made for a sailor, who is constantly getting wet, then it should be well designed, and keep you warm and dry, and hopefully be 100% functional, rather than the fashionable side of realtree clothing.

hope this message helps people decide which water proof to buy.

dave

I don't have one of these Tribal jackets, but I do have a Tog 24 walking jacket that seems to work on a similar principle (i.e. the water doesn't run off it like traditional PVC or PU coated nylon jackets). I don't get wet and cold in it in the way that you describe, though. If water is wicking up your arms, it sounds as though whatever you're wearing underneath is sticking out of the cuffs.

My Tog jacket does get a bit heavy in a downpour and it does take a while to dry afterwards, but I'm pretty certain that no waterproof should be dried by putting it on a radiator - you may have damaged yours by doing so.

I'm guessing that the downside of some modern breathable waterproofs (I've never owned a Goretex, which a lot of people swear by, so can't speak fo them) is that they do appear to absorb water in their outer layers instead of shedding it. The older materials (including waxed cotton) certainly shed water well, but didn't breath, so you ended up pretty wet inside the jacket due to condensation.

Hello

Ive had a shimano tribal winter jacket for 3 years now, it cost me £120 new, and i can now say its rubbish! its ok in cold dry weather, but as its got a sort of micro fleece outer which is still waterproff, the microfleece layer holds onto water in wet weather. it doesnt let water run off it like a normal water proof coat. the result is it keeps a layer of cold water next to you, and you get cold. in ireland the other week, standing in the rain, it really annoyed me, water would seep up the inside of my sleeves, upto my elbow level, and also it would seep down my neck, as the microfleece acts like a wick. And the coat takes a year to dry out, well, not exactly, but it takes more than 12 hours on a radiator.

Basically, if the tribal stuff still has the microfleece outer layer, dont buy it, in my opinion, because i now believe it is rubbish, and a waste of money. I think my next water proof will come from a sailing shop, i figure if a waterproof is made for a sailor, who is constantly getting wet, then it should be well designed, and keep you warm and dry, and hopefully be 100% functional, rather than the fashionable side of realtree clothing.

dave

I use the army issue gortex suite and there brilliant. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a light, waterproof and comfortable kit to keep them dry and comfy.

I use the army issue gortex suite and there brilliant. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a light, waterproof and comfortable kit to keep them dry and comfy.

So do I. I wear a fleece jacket underneath it and I am alway warn & dry. Only one down side to mins is that has not got pockets.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

So do I. I wear a fleece jacket underneath it and I am alway warn & dry. Only one down side to mins is that has not got pockets.

lyn

Yeah a friend of mine has a gortex issue suite and it's the same as yours "no pockets". I got one with two large pockets in the jacket and normal slash pockets in the trousers.

Hello

dave

Hey, thanks for the info. Been browsing the site and looking in shops at those, I'll keep looking eh - but at other real tree stuff.

Yogi. :thumbs:

Take nothing but photo's.

Leave nothing but footprints.

Kill nothing but time.

david t,

I have the same jacket and agree with you that the jacket becomes waterlogged after a while, for the 1st year of wear the jacket does have effective water run off that isnt held by the micro fleece layer, and then it wears off. However, this is not a big fault with the jacket it is just quite simply that the waterproofing has stopped, this is a feature on many waterproofs, not just fishing jackets, i have a berghaus jacket that cost me £240, the same has happened on this. The solution is really quite simple, you need to treat the jacket with a waterproofing agent in spray form or otherwise, also when washing the jacket, you should use special waterproofing wash powder that does not remove the waterproofing.

Hope this helps.

I dont tend to wear under garments that stick out of the cuffs, the elasticated cuff seems to draw the water up almost, or at least some mechanism made it come up my sleeves, other than protruding under garments.

Zedhead, i agree, i do seem to remember the jacket being better when it was new, I dont actually wash it though, if it gets muddy, i let the mud dry, then brush it off, as ive ruined water proof coats before when washing them, even at 30c. I will though, get some water repellant spray, hopefully that should help. Although i still dont think its a brilliant design.

cheers dave

I wear chest waders and a cheap 'Bikers' jacket above. The bikers jackets are designed to repel water at 60mph!!, they have collars and cuffs that adjust tightly yet comfortably, all you need then is a hat with a brim. My current jacket cost me 35 euro, about £28 and is 3 years old. The zipper has broken but the velcro fastening still keeps it closed and sealed against the rain.

NB>they are all relatively short so you will need chest waders.)

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..